Power inverter / alternator

Hello, I am experimenting with an alternator and Power inverter. I have a

2000W continous/4000W max surge power inverter. What spec alternator should I use to connect to it?

Can I connect inverter to an alternator?

I have access to an alternator that is rated for 75A/90A current @12V.

Thanks, fanzi

Reply to
humbleFunGuy

To get 2000 watts with 12 volts you need about 160 amps. Your small alternator will not keep up. You will need to connect to a battery and use the alternator to charge the battery. You will not be able to use the inverter continuously. You will need to hook up large wires from the battery to the inverter to carry the current. I have a similar inverter in my work truck. Hooked up to an isolated battery with welding cables. Battery is charged with a 145 amp alternator.

Reply to
calhoun

Probably not! Depends in part on what range of input voltage the inverter was made to handle. Depends also on whether the alternator has an internal regulator, and what voltage it is set for.

Some inverters are designed to operate only on "filtered DC" as from a battery. Others may work on the rectified AC output of an alternator.

Safest bet is to operate the inverter from a battery, using the alternator to charge the battery, as suggested in the previous post.

Good luck.

Chuck

Reply to
chuck

I would also like to add. I don't think an alternator will work without a battery. It needs some current to energize the magnetic field. Try it, but I think you can spin it all day and not get an output without a battery hooked up.

Reply to
calhoun