Modicon 170ARM37030 w/ M1 Ethernet

I've programmed other brands of PLCs but I'm a newby at Modicon. Can anyone shed some light or point me in the right direction on how the addressing for your symbols relate to the I/O terminals? I'm using proworx32 by the way. Most of the plcs I've worked with use X or Y, or at least have a table where you can assign inputs and outputs. I can't seem to find a good beginner resource on modicon. I know this should be simple stuff but I just need a few examples. I've tried modicon.com (Telemecanique)

Thanks!

Reply to
engineer

I've only used PL7 for programming Modicon PLC's. On that the Inputs are %I1.0 etc and the outputs are %Q1.0 etc.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

I'm using Proworx NxT instead of Proworx 32 since that's what our only Modicon client has from the previous system integrator. Modicon has four types of memory addresses:

- Both internal and output coils are addressed as 0xxxxx, starting at

000001.

- Discrete inputs are addressed as 1xxxxx, starting at 100001.

- Input registers are addressed as 3xxxxx, starting at 300001.

- Internal and output registers are addressed as 4xxxxx, starting at 400001.

Some older models only supported 5 digit addressing instead of 6 digits, and Proworx further allows you to select 5 or 6 digit addressing if your processor supports 6 digits. Furthermore, the communications driver for your HMI software or OPC server probably uses 6 digit addressing only. Don't worry, they the equivalent 5 and 6 digit addresses, such as 41728 and 401728, refer to the same memory location.

The I/O modules are configured using the Traffic Cop, wherever it might be found now. By the way, bits within words are numbered left to right,

1 (MSB) to 16 (LSB).

My considered opinion on NxT, to paraphrase Will Smith in "Men in Black": "Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we program our PLCs with Proworx PoS!"

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond