Need high acceleration actuator

Hello,
I am looking for an actuator (pref. linear) that can reach 6m/s, then withing 2mm decelerate to a stop and reverse direction
at that point.
I have found a voice coil actuator that can do this, but at much slower speeds.
If this is not possible I could let the actuator moving element coast from 6m/s into a hard stop, thus causing the direction reversal and high acceleration. I can tune the contact surfaces until I get the proper acceleration reversal.
I appreciate any ideas you can offer.
Kurt Sutherland
Kurt Sutherland wrote:

Without knowing your stage mass and space constraints the question is pretty hard to answer.
Voice coil actuators are good if you need the controlled stage to be well isolated from the rest of the world - if this isn't the case a plain ol' motor and lead screw will probably give you much better performance. Piezo actuators can give you _very_ high accelerations, but over microns, not millimeters.
Your hard stop idea (or some neodymium magnets with opposed polarity) might be the way to go, all in all.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services