Newbie question: MIMO transfer functions

Hi,
I have a transfer function for a 2x2 MIMO problem, of the form G=[G11 G12; G21 G22], consisting of first-order lags with time delay. I also
have two PI controllers that are supposed to control this system. I would like to plot the performance of these controllers, but I only know how to work with ODEs in the time domain.
I know how to convert a SISO transfer function into an ODE, but after much frustration I'm stuck on the MIMO case. I am aware of this equation:
Y1(s) = G11(s)R1(s) + G12(s)R2(s) Y2(s) = G21(s)R1(s) + G22(s)R2(s)
How do I convert that into:
dy1/dt = f(u1,u2) dy2/dt = f(u1,u2)
where u1 and u2 are the outputs of the PI controllers?
Or is there some other way of plotting y1 and y2 as a function of time?
Many heart-felt thanks.
z wrote:

I cannot do the answer justice in a single post. Try:
"Linear Systems", Thomas Kailath, Prentice-Hall, 1980.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
RRogers wrote:

Hi Mate: If you know a program called MATLAB/SIMULINK then I will be able to help you. All the best ASSad

Yes your answer is right. Just take the Laplace xform of your y_dot equations and you will have the Gij equations; with the exception of the starting transient terms. The transients die away for any stable systems, and so are often discarded. You do know that you xform the MIMO system to a sum of MISO terms using the characteristic equation ( I am in a hurry and can't check if that is the right term)?