Newbie Tig question

Hello group:
I am a newbie welder who just picked up a Thermal Arc 185Tsw, Thanks to Ernie & Gary for the low-down on inverter versus transformer
machines.
My question is this. I am laying some practice beads on steel <1/16" thick. 3/32" tungsten. after a few beads, I get a buildup of what looks like slag on the bottom edge and inside of the ceramic cup. Is this normal? if not, any suggestions for prevention?
P.S. eventually I hope to use this machine to weld stainless steel railings for boats and general repairs/fooling around in the garage.
Thanks again for all the advice. Andy Hall

Sounds like you are dragging your cup on the metal. Don't.
The cup should float over the metal.

Thanks for the advice. Float cup over work. Got it.
Andy