NI custom driver

I'm looking at the National Instrument Compact FieldPoint/LabviewRT system for an OEM automation project. The system will have about
200-400 discrete IO points distributed along the machine in about 4-6 drops. The problem is when I use the NI hardware my budget gets busted beyond all repair. I would like to use a third party remote IO product but can't find any that NI supports with drivers. Is there a developer out there who can write a custom driver to use the serial port and talk to a Modbus RTU net? Or does somebody have any other ideas using off the shelf hardware?

Hi, Ed. What are your job constraints? You _have_ to have MODBUS, NI, both, or neither?
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CFoley1064) wrote in message

The NI Compact FieldPoint is a given for various other reasons. I picked the Modbus because its a open standard, has lots of 3rd party support and can use the standard serial port available.