OMRON E5CN control a temperature range?

Hi I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but I have an OMRON E5CN temperature controller that I use for controlling fermentation
temperature for my homebrew beer.
I've managed to set it up and calibrate it, and it's been working a treat for some time now.
However, I would ideally like to keep fermentation in a range, say between 15C and 18C, i.e the heater comes on to keep the temp above 15C and the cooler comes on to keep the temperature below 18C.
Is this possible with the E5CN model?
Regards, Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says...

It depends on which option string E5CN you have. There is a two-alarm model, which has dual relays. You could program that pretty easily to switch the heat off & cool on & vice-versa.
The (wasteful) but easy method is to leave one element (typically cooling) always on, and have the heater under control of the E5CN, where it works against the constant cooling to maintain the exact temperature desired.
--Gene
I forget the exact model number , but it has two relay outputs, 240v, and takes pt100 rtd (3-wire).
Are there models available that do what I want? I noticed lots of different modes of operation for my unit, specifying when the alarm comes on etc, but the manual doesn't explain how they work at all.
The only idea I have is to turn off the heating side and set the set point at the top of the required range, and allow the cooling circuit to limit in that way.
The reason I'd like the heater to come on and limit the low end is because fermentation is exothermic (produces it's own heat as part of the chemical activity taking place), but in the early stages (first 24 hours), this process isn't strong enough, and if the ambient temperature drops too much, then fermentation can stop and the yeast hibernate and fall out of suspension.
Regards, Mark
In addition to my previous post, I think my model is EC5N-R2T
Regards, Mark
Hi I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but I have an OMRON E5CN temperature controller that I use for controlling fermentation temperature for my homebrew beer.
I've managed to set it up and calibrate it, and it's been working a treat for some time now.
However, I would ideally like to keep fermentation in a range, say between 15C and 18C, i.e the heater comes on to keep the temp above 15C and the cooler comes on to keep the temperature below 18C.
Is this possible with the E5CN model?
Regards, Mark
Mark, The E5CN-R2T can do exactly the function you want. Use following settings: -In the "initial setting level" you set the controller in ON/OFF and you choose also for "H-C" , wich means heating-cooling. - In the "Advanced function setting level" you for alarm1 assignment Cool (C-o). -In the adjustment level you set the cooling deadband (C-db) to 0, the hysteresis (HYS) to 3C and the cooling hysteresis (CHYS) to 0.1C. ( lower is not possible) -You choose you setpoint as 18C. The heating must be connected to output 1 ( connections 1&2) , and the cooling to connections 7-8. This way you are using the alarm1 output as cooling output.
With this configuration the controller heating ourput will go on between 15C and 18C. The cooling output will go on above 18C.
Remark: to go in the "advanced function setting level" you must set the value -169 when you encoutner the word AMOV in the Initial setting level. When you don't see the word AMOV this means that the protection level is too high. Set the values in the protection level to "0" or OFF.
Mail me if you need more info.
Ronny
Hi Ronny
Thanks for that, but I don't think this is quite what I need.
I need the heater to come on if the temp drops below 15, does nothing in the range 15-18, and the cooler comes on above 18. Is that possible?
Basically I need to allow the fermentation to ramp up slowly of its own accord exothermically (not heated externally), but limit it to <=18C and >=15C
Regards, Mark
Hi Ronny
Thanks for that, but I don't think this is quite what I need.
I need the heater to come on if the temp drops below 15, does nothing in the range 15-18, and the cooler comes on above 18. Is that possible?
Basically I need to allow the fermentation to ramp up slowly of its own accord exothermically (not heated externally), but limit it to <C and >C
Regards, Mark
Yes Mark, that is possible. Set the controller to ON/OFF and to standard. ( not heatin/cooling). Set the setpoint temperature to 15C. Connect the cooling to the alarm1 output ( 7 & 8) In the "initial setting level" : set the alarm 1 to type 8 : absolute-value upper limit and in the "operation level" set the alarm 1 value to 18C. With this setting the heating output wil go on under 15C en the cooling output (alarm1) will be active above 18C.
Good luck and tasty beer, Ronny
Thanks Ronny, I really appreciate that.
Regards, Mark