Operator Interface

In addition to the usual SCADA package, one of the materials handling projects we are working on requires desk-mounted pushbutton/indicator
panels, interfaced to the PLC, to allow the operators some level of semi-auto control should the SCADA system keel over.
I've seen something similar installed by Danieli at a certain BHP steel mill over here, so I know they exist.. Does anyone know where I might find this sort of thing??
Thanks in advance, Cameron:-)

These devices, and similar ones, can interface directly to most PLC's through a serial link.
http://www.tcpdisplays.com/pages/1/index.htm
Or you could add discrete I/O to the PLC and use a device with switches and lights like this.
http://www.idec.com/Products/ENG/DisplayLights/DisplaySLC30_us.html

mill
this
Thanks, Charles. I suppose I could use a touch screen, but some operators like the "touch and feel" of buttons.
I hadn't seen the Idec units before - but these are similar to A-B's old Redipanels.. I am looking for a more "21st-century" version of this. Ever see anything like that?
Cameron:-)
Thanks, Walter. That's the general idea... From looking at the TEW web site, I'm guessing that your panels are custom-made? I was hoping that someone out there made something generic as I imagine that what you are getting is not cheap.
The unit I had in mind was a panel-mounted membrane matrix keypad with dual-colour leds on each button. It was "programmed" (momentary/latching/etc.) using dip-switches and had Weidmuller-style plug-in terminals on the back. I just can't remember who made it (probably some European/Italian company) and didn't keep a set of drawings..
Cameron:-)

mill
this