Operator Interface

In addition to the usual SCADA package, one of the materials handling projects we are working on requires desk-mounted pushbutton/indicator panels, interfaced to the PLC, to allow the operators some level of semi-auto control should the SCADA system keel over.

I've seen something similar installed by Danieli at a certain BHP steel mill over here, so I know they exist.. Does anyone know where I might find this sort of thing??

Thanks in advance, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

These devices, and similar ones, can interface directly to most PLC's through a serial link.

Or you could add discrete I/O to the PLC and use a device with switches and lights like this.

Charles Erskine

Thanks, Walter. That's the general idea... From looking at the TEW web site, I'm guessing that your panels are custom-made? I was hoping that someone out there made something generic as I imagine that what you are getting is not cheap.

The unit I had in mind was a panel-mounted membrane matrix keypad with dual-colour leds on each button. It was "programmed" (momentary/latching/etc.) using dip-switches and had Weidmuller-style plug-in terminals on the back. I just can't remember who made it (probably some European/Italian company) and didn't keep a set of drawings..

Cameron:-)

Also, I'm adding an attachment of an ESD button matrix we are currently installing. let me know it doesn't come through. the red and green squares are either buttons or lights.

Walter.

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Thanks, Charles. I suppose I could use a touch screen, but some operators like the "touch and feel" of buttons.

I hadn't seen the Idec units before - but these are similar to A-B's old Redipanels.. I am looking for a more "21st-century" version of this. Ever see anything like that?

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough