Re: Multiple applications of the Open-Loop control

You fix the optimal solution? You expect the system model to stay the same

> over time and different inputs?

In my previous post "The same process can be repeated for other conditions (other points in input space) and other "analytical equation-solution" couples are memorized."

You are expecting a lot from an industrial > unit. The grand idea of finding an overall equation for a unit is nifty, > but quite often very oversimplified. Typically there are several competing > phenomena, each of which contributes somehow to the overall operation. Not > all of these phenomena are known in many cases. Some are not even > observable.

I checked this approach on the comprehensive model of a telecommunications network. It works pretty well for the 30 variables.

For complex systems, even those which look very simple to the untrained eye, > it could fall rather flat.

To me, all live creatures on earth use this approach to be able to survive. We name it "a learned expirience". I only proposing a method how to find borders of multiple "good enough" solutions for different situations in the very fast way. BTW, what is a "good enough" is defined by a system designer. Creatures who select this definition in wrong way are not going to survive.

Setting one(?) optimal state ignores the vagaries of the situation. What looks > optimal on one process could be screwing a downstream process up very badly.

Again, in my previous post: "The same process can be repeated for other conditions (other points in input space) and other "analytical equation-solution" couples are memorized."

How does your system differ in effect from dynamic matrix control? Is it > as good as the dynamic matrix control with an online coefficient correction > system? That watches the process and learns continuously from it, rather > than fixing knowledge from one(?) test for all time.

In my previous post: "The second phase is an open-loop control itself. During this phase condition of an object (process) is monitored and current point into input space is defined. Corresponding to it "analytical equation-solution" is interpreted and solution is executed. It is still be fixed until object (process) input still being inside of the corresponding to this solution input area."

> > > In 1995 I have published two articles in which I have proposed a new > > approach to the Open-Loop Control. (1."Some problems with the design > > of self-learning open-loop control systems." European Journal of > > Operational Research. 1995. 2. "Input set decomposition and open-loop > > control in telecommunications networks". 1995 American Control > > Conference, Seattle, 1995). > > > > I think that any laboratory, that has a model of some object(process) > > or can manipulate an object(process) itself and this > > model(manipulation) allows performance optimization of an > > object(process), can verify methodology I am proposing. > > > > In brief, the methodology consists of two phases. > > > > The first phase is learning. During this phase, for same set of object > > (process) conditions (a point into a multidimensional input space) > > performance of the controlled object (process) is opitimized and > > optimal solution becomes fixed. Then, analytical equation for the > > outer surface of expending area in the input space, in which found > > solution is still be considered as "a good enough", is quickly > > defined. (See "Input set decomposition and open-loop control in > > telecommunications networks". 1995 American Control Conference, > > Seattle, 1995). "Analytical equation-solution" couple is memorized. > > The same process can be repeated for other conditions (other points in > > input space) and other "analytical equation-solution" couples are > > memorized. > > > > The second phase is an open-loop control itself. During this phase > > condition of an object (process) is monitored and current point into > > input space is defined. Corresponding to it "analytical > > equation-solution" is interpreted and solution is executed. It is > > still be fixed until object (process) input still being inside of the > > corresponding to this solution input area. > > > > Execution of both phases can be easily computerized. > > > > > > How I can see it, this approach has a very broad application > > potential: > > > > > > 1. It will be possible to create self-learning procedures that provide > > sufficient functionality for controllable objects, for example, robots > > in unknown environment and, using continuously intersected > > controllable areas, give those objects adaptive features. > > > > 2. It can be defined a sub-optimal trajectory of transferring a system > > from one state to the other via continuously intersected controllable > > areas. > > > > 3. It will be possible to develop of a set of sub-optimal emergency > > plans. > > > > 4. Unstable systems (processes) can be controlled. > > > > 5. Diagnoses (for example, medical diagnoses) can be enhanced. > > > > 6. Process of an image and voice recognition can be improved. > > > > 7. It will be possible to avoid some accidents by controlling human > > activity and preventing controlled system from its drawing outside of > > a multidimensional safety area. > > > > 8. It will be possible to recover from some disastrous situations by > > using prepared in advance sub-optimal recovery procedures. > > > > One can continue this list of possible applications > > > > > > I will be glad to provide assistance to anybody who will try to use > > the proposed methodology. > > > > > > Ziny Flikop > > > > snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net. > > > > > > P. S. 1/ Since "Input set decomposition and open-loop control in > > telecommunications networks". 1995 American Control Conference, > > Seattle, 1995 is short, I can fax it to anybody who will request it. > > > > 2/ Please excuse my grammar, English is my second language.
Reply to
ziny flikop

This may work well for telecommunications networks, and a bunch of others. There are problems with the explicit learning mode idea in a number of situations. It is sometimes very difficult or impossible to prescribe the operating conditions for certain units. A boiler for example starts out as one device and slowly degrades to another as it fouls. Controls which work great at first, may have a different effect after only a few days or weeks, and the change may be history dependent.

If you are running a system in which the responses to inputs remains relatively stable, even if there are several different stale states, your control will work fine. In other cases, the system dynamics will change in a matter which is somewhat but not precisely predictable, and the control will generate poor results. It will probably still work, just not as well.

If you are working on a system in which the dynamics are changed significantly, then you must be retained to rerun your characterization system. This might sound like job security, but it may also be viewed as a liability.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

The main purpose of this approach is to design a system capable to work in the rapidly changing environment (If... (a new condition, then... ( a new control).

In my previous post:

We decompose input space on subspaces and define for each subspace a "good enough" control.

"The second phase is an open-loop control itself. During this phase

As soon as input point left the last solution input area, control system will define to which new control area an input belongs now and selects a new "good enough" control that corresponds to this new control area. This process of switching from one control to the other is continues. The more rapid and drastic changes are in the controlled system conditions, the better discussed approach is working.

Let's use this boiler as a test device in the learning phase of the approach (do decomposition of the boiler input space with defining for each subspace a"good enough" control. When it starts to drif, chsnge control depending on boiler conditions. (If it is possible, change set ups on the boiler controller}.

Study your system before you will apply discussed approach.

Reply to
ziny flikop