Position control of AC induction motor

Hi,

My knowledge of motor control is very basic. We are asked to build a system for the control of a camera on two axis. We are required to use a 3 phase AC motor.

The requirements are 1 mrad position accuracy and 180 deg in less than 2 seconds.

Is there an alternative to the use of three loops, current, speed, position ? Can it be more simple ?

Are there ready made ICs or PCBs for the position control of AC motors, or at least for the speed control, providing we can close the position loop with a P controller ?

Regards

Reply to
Lanarcam

Need more info:

Is it geared and at what ratio?

Separate motor on each axis or ONE as stated?

What is the size of the loads? Dead band requirements, if any ( stability )?

Position to a fixed points or is it tracking a moving object?

What is the input and feedback(s) signals?

Yes there are a lot of off the shelf items available to do this and methods.

Lanarcam wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Mchenney

Not geared

separate motors

The load is a camera, I don't know the inertia moment as of now. Stability is required for vision at one mile (hope this helps!) I don't know about deadband

Position to fixed points.

Input : RS422 message to be defined: position to reach, sweeping area,... feedback : 64000 counts encoder.

Reply to
Lanarcam

Lanarcam, a properly-gimballed camera is not much load at all and if you are not gearing the motors in some way, you basically won't get the precision you are asking for.

You could buy three small VVVF drives and fit encoders to the motor shafts as per the instructions, but the shudder when stopped will totally stuff your picture quality. This is one reason why people use DC servomotors for your application.

Suggestion: Go and buy a commercial servo-based PTZ head for your camera. Even a professional, expensive one will be cheaper and work better than using AC drives.

I hope this helps.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

precision

servomotors for

This certainly helps to get down to earth .)

The camera is specified and is somewhat larger than the PTZ you suggested.

In fact contary to what I thought we are using a 3 phase DC Brushless motor. The driving current is 3 phase AC, with speed prop to frequency hence the confusion. Sorry about that, I should change the title of the topic, but I don't know if I can.

The motor is from Artus with 0.29 mrad guaranteed precision without gear for our application.

Artus will not provide the drives, so we need to find one by ourselves and make the whole system work.

Our concern for now is to find a drive with position control capability. We also have thermal and mechanical dimensions constaints.

Reply to
Lanarcam

precision

servomotors for

This certainly helps to get down to earth!

Contrary to what I have said the motor is a 3 phase DC brushless. The driving current is 3 phase AC hence the confusion.

The camera is specified and is somewhat larger then the PTZ you suggested.

The motor is an Artus BM8618Z02. Artus will not provide the drives. We must find one and make the whole system work.

The precision guaranteed by Artus is 0.29 mrad.

Reply to
Lanarcam

Given the accuracy required I would also post to

Allan Morrison

You have provided insufficient specifications to make any meaningful suggestions. Artus manufactures custom motors, generally for military applications. Given this, simply providing a motor number is meaningless as is the 0.29 mrad spec. You will need to provide the motor drive parameters in order to select a drive ( Kt, Kv, Max RPM, Rt-t Lt-t Number of poles, Halls switches?, Ipeak, Irms, Pmax). I also question the "25000 Count Resolver". Are you sure it is a resolvers? Resolvers will typically use a resolver to digital converter which is binary in nature and the resulting counts per rev will be a power of 2. In addition, for the accuracy and response you are looking at resolvers would not be the feedback of choice. Good ones have an accuracy typically in the 5 arc-min range, and have considerable lag. I suggest you contact Artus to get complete motor specifications, and their parent company, Pacific Scientific which manufactures a full line of servo drives and controllers.

Reply to
jeff

meaningless

Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

25000 is rounded up. Artus suggested the feedback.

resolvers

suggest

Artus declined to design the drive, overworked! We will ask if Pacific Scientific can supply it.

The problem is we are not experts in this field and the design was done by mechanical engineers who did not care about electronics. I am convinced we did that the wrong way, but we have to make it work hopefully.

Reply to
Lanarcam

Interesting. I suppose you are going to use this to remotely target americans or other infidels. The speed requirement being so tight so as not to trip any electronic detection before the IED can be triggered. Well, good luck with that. asshole

Reply to
RichardFalcon69

Don't simulate taking your pills, you need them

Reply to
Lanarcam

Is that your usual signature?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

3 phase DC. Now I'm lost.
Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Artus datasheet:

Brushless motor Supply voltage : 24 - 32 Vdc Phases number: 3 Poles pairs numbers : 10 Nominal voltage : 28 Vdc Resistance ph - ph, R : 2.8 ohms Self ph - ph, L : 0.6 mH

I saw DC brushless motor in one of their documents, but that could be a tongue slip.

Reply to
Lanarcam

Although there are significant differences in the details of their designs, the basic magnetic circuits and coil excitation sequences of brushless DC motors and stepping motors are nearly identical. The primary difference between their operations is that coil currents are determined externally in steppers, but commutated internally in the brushless motors. Both types run from DC power supplies and both have AC (perhaps with offset) in their coils. The spec above makes sense to me.

The speed and torque of a brushless DC motor as the supply voltage is varied is roughly that of a series-wound DC motor, with difficulties arising at low voltages because of the internal electronics. Do your motors have a separate supply terminal for the electronics? That would allow operation at lower speeds and allow finer positioning.

I think you have a tough design task with that servo loop.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Bob: Yes, Brushless DC. It can also be characterized as synchronous AC. Three phase windings on the stator, permanent magnets on the rotor. it relies on some sort of external commutation, typically hall switches to six-step it through one pole-pair.

Lanarcam: Any information on the resolver/encoder/feedback device yet? Is the motor equipped with hall switches?

The inductance looks high enough for most modern PWM drives. If the motor is looked at as resistance limited then it has a peak current of

10 Amps. Small PWM amplifiers by Coply or Elmo would be appropriate depending on your feedback/commutation device.
Reply to
jeff

No hall switches. Resolver:

- 3 Windings

- X4 : +/- 2 arc min / Nx360 deg : +/- 1.5 arc min / +/- 45 deg

14 bit tracking resolver to digital converter

- Accuracy : 8 arc min

Reply to
Lanarcam

How are the coil currents decided on? Algorithmically from the measured angle? (Before wondering how to servo the motor, one needs to know how to make it turn.)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

The resolver feedback narrows the selection a lot. AMC makes some nice resolver commutated drives. I've used their torque mode drives and been quite happy with them. They also make drives with full position loops and Canbus control. See:

jeff

The resolver provides absolute position within one rev which is used by the drive to do a sine, sine120, and sine240 lookup for the motor. The number of poles of the motor is a configuration parameter. Current is then apportioned to the windings appropriatly. With some drives it is necessary to mechanically phase the resolver to the motor poles. In other cases such as the AMC drive this is accomplished automatically during commisioning. In this case it simply creates a reference rotating vector and observes the resolver position for a couple of revolutions. fron that it knows the motor pole angle as a function of the resolver position.

Reply to
jeff