Slow induction motor

I have an old Clarke motor (1/5 HP, 0.15 KW, 240 v, 1.8 A, 1400 rpm, type 5DB, single phase according to the rating plate,) that only runs at

400 rpm whether loaded or unloaded. I am looking for suggestions for why it is slow, and how I can rectify the fault.

My inspection of the motor reveals that: [1] It has no brushes so I guess it is an induction motor. [2] It has a 8 microFarad external capacitor which suggests it is a run capacitor not a start capacitor from what I have gleaned from the internet. [3] The bearings are not binding or rough, and the spindle is free to turn. [4] A cheap multimeter test of the disconnected capacitor gives a gradually increasing resistance up to 20 ohms. [5] A cheap multimeter test of the windings from the capacitor terminals reads 58 ohms.

Any clues folks?

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

I would take a look and see if there is a centrifugal switch that is stuck on. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Possibly a permanent split capacitor motor and those, as well as shaded pole motors, can be speed controlled to a degree by varying the voltage so maybe the motor is somehow getting supplied a reduced voltage.

Reply to
David Billington

Assuming DC tests your multimeter should show a resistance reading approaching infinity asymptotically. 20 ohms is a long way short of infinity !!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's the first thing I looked for, but there is no centrifugal switch.

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

If that is the case the motor is junk and I need a new one.

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

It may have gone to a higher reading if I had continued the test, but I stopped after 10 seconds or so because the increase was so gradual. Are you suggesting a faulty capacitor or a useless meter?

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

Either is a possibility - your meter is easily tested against a known resistance. What resistance range was it switched to.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I was just wondering if you had checked the supply voltage at the motor terminals. It used to be that Machinemart sold single phase motors were all PSC motors so not a good start-up torque but good for some applications.

Reply to
David Billington

I am not an electrician and don't have any known resistances. The meter is auto ranging so I can't answer your second question.

I shall order a new capacitor in the hope that it will solve the problem. If it doesn't, the motor is destined for the bin as I don't intend to spend any more time on the job.

Thanks for your help Andrew.

Reply to
Clifford Coggin