Siemens Simatic STEP 7

Hi!

I'm about to make my first project in Simatic STEP 7. I've programmed "a lot" of PLC. Mitsubishi GX IEC Dev. and Beckhoff TwinCAT. The latter one is the one I've been using the most. Now to my quetsion. Since I come from the "TwinCAT world" I'm used to ST and SFC. Have been looking around and as far as I understand Siemens has the S7-SCL and the S7-GRAPH language.

Is it possible to use these two language for "all" tasks or will it just be stupid?

The program task I create are usually to control machines.

What are the most used language in Siemens for common machine control?

Regards

Reply to
Daniel Andersson

Historically, the languages for S7 were

STL = Storage Language (AWL in German) (equ. IL in IEC 61131-3) LAD = Ladder Logic (KOP in German) (equ LD in IEC 61131-3) CSF = Control System Flowchart (FUP in German) (equ. FBD in IEC 61131-3)

These three came from the S5 world, and they are all included in the basic STEP7 programming package. Also, they are (mostly) convertible, i.e. you can write in CSF and switch to LAD or vice versa (well, in most cases ...), but you can always use STL which is the "mother" of all the others.

Then there are add-on packages which are (among others) :

S7-GRAPH, a sequential flowchart, coming from GRAPH5 (or GRAFCET as named elsewhere) (equ. SFC in IEC 61131-3) SCL = Structured Control Language (equ. ST in IEC 61131-3) S7-HIGRAPH, a non-linear state diagram logic

Also, be aware - and this is most important - that you can mix the languages (including the add-ons) as required, in any Siemens program. You can use the language you feel most suitable for each task in the project.

Now, which languages are or can be used for "common machine control" ? This depends - of course - greatly on the specific machinery we talk about, and also on other factors like interchangeability (is IED 61131-3 a must?), and perhaps also on other requirements like the possibility to migrate to other platforms like AB or Mistubishi etc. pp.

If you ask for my personal favourite, I would suggest to have a look at S7-Higraph. We use this language frequently for complex (handling) machines, and find it very helpful. It is, however, neither standardized in IEC nor interchangeable with other PLCs. - For simple (basic) logic we use LAD and CSF, and for basic functions we (have to) use STL.

Hope this helps.

Btw. here is a link to the Higraph description

Michael

Reply to
Michael Marx

Thanks for the answer. I will make some test ASAP. I'll get back and let the group know which way I went.

Reply to
Daniel Andersson