simulating a digital control loop

But can you drop a circuit into it, and simulate that in a "spice-like" way while simulating the rest in a more abstract way?

It's what John's looking for, and I know it's something that I'd find pretty darned useful.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

A little over a year ago I made up a behavioral 10-bit DAC, so I could quickly self-check a 10-bit SAR-based (device-level) ADC in simulation.

I know, in developing the ADC, that I used the behavioral DAC along with CMOS-level stuff to develop the SAR timing.

So I'd guess it's be easy enough to make a fully behavioral SAR-based ADC.

What kind of behavioral ADC's would you like to see?

I like a modeling challenge... that's how I keep myself amused (besides lurking here) while long term simulations are churning.

(A behavioral sample-and-hold is trivial ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Since you asked:

A. 12 bit ADC made with 2 ea 8 bit flash ADC in a coarse-fine conversion,

250 MSPS B. Two slope and 4 slope integrating converters 20-bits or more, as fast as it can go. C. A 14-bit or more SAR ADC >10MSPS D. A 12-bit 50 MSPS CVSD ADC

And realizing any of these in the real world could pay off handsomely.

Reply to
JosephKK

Most of those performance points are already available as standard ICs. But the faster ICs are mostly pipeline designs, and the big-bits boys are delta-sigma. SARs are currently peaking out around 2 MHz.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Behavioral has no speed limit, unless you build it in. And it's _always_ monotonic :-) ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

"spice-like"=20

conversion,

I expect to learn quite a bit by studying the models as it is. Especially if provided with a "test jig" circuit that shows how to use model.

Reply to
JosephKK