A good book for intro to metal casting...?

Hello,

I'm interesting in seeing whether I can do some simple metal-casting at home. Is there a good book for the total and complete newbie/"idiot"?

Is there a different one for mold-making?

Also, if the casting itself is too much for me to deal with at home, but could make a mold, would some places actually do a tiny run (2 - 4)?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, all I know is that I've modeled some things in 3D, and sketched some others, that I would very much like to produce, but am trying to decide how to do it. A couple would IMO look best in bronze. ((I've considered oven-firing and air-hardening clays, btu the additives make them kind of rubbery, difficult to smooth and not too easy to do fine detail. Plasticine is, of course, super-easy to work, but never hardens. I still have to find out what material would be best to use to sculpt things for making molds.))

Many Thanks in advance for any answers, suggestions, and/or ideas anyone is willing to offer someone starting from Zero :)

- KMK.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

MK1 wrote in news:3O5Kg.687$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.lga:

Belated Thanks :)

I've never done any sort of work with metal (well, aside from covering Thanksgiving turkeys with tents of aluminum foil...) so I appreciate any sort of "metalworking for dummies" info :)

I just get too many ideas, that's the problem ;)

- KMK

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Try Lindsay Publications on line

Jack Morse

Reply to
John Morse

"John Morse" wrote in news:L9EOg.12620$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That looks like a very useful link - Thanks!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger