lawnmower Q

I was going to do a simple job of replacing the pull rope on my Briggs and Stratton mower (6 HP). The problem I ran into right away is that the cage
over the rope pulley is riveted down. How do I get to this pulley?
(I expect someone out there has done this job and knows what I mean)
LB
brassbend wrote:

I assume that you are refering to the metal cage that the pully rope comes out of as being rivited down to the top motor houseing.
Access to the pully and return spring is by taking the top motor houseing off. It is usually held to the motor by four screws, (one of which may have a clamp for your throtle cable). By removing these screws the whole motor houseing with pully cage will come up off the motor. The pully usually only sits on top of the crank shaft and turns it by means of a connection similar to how a socket fits onto a ratchet. you can then access the rope/pully from the underside of the motor houseing. Anyway, that is how it has been when I have replaced frayed/broken starter ropes on mowers that I have had.
Never mind, I got it done. What worries me is that last week there was indeed a response to my question and now the response is gone but my question lingers.
LB

I have no spark on my mower. I can't get the stop wire that is connected to the "quick stop" mechanism to do anything but produce and closed circuit with almost any other part of the mower. I took the wire off the quick stop all together but it still reads a closed circuit with the fly wheel. I took the magneto off and found that the stop wire is in circuit with the 2 armature arms... should this be? It looks like the stop wire is going into the magneto and should be insulated from 2 armature arms... do I have a short?
Sorry for writing in such a complex manner but I am new at this.
NEVER MIND, I got it fixed. Seems a little bit of rust let the armature arms touch the flywheel, I ground a tiny bit off the arms to make them shiny again and reset them. Everything is dandy.
LB

stop
into
Glad we could help. ;)
| > I have no spark on my mower. I can't get the stop wire that is connected | to | > the "quick stop" mechanism to do anything but produce and closed circuit | > with almost any other part of the mower. I took the wire off the quick | stop | > all together but it still reads a closed circuit with the fly wheel. I | > took the magneto off and found that the stop wire is in circuit with the 2 | > armature arms... should this be? It looks like the stop wire is going | into | > the magneto and should be insulated from 2 armature arms... do I have a | > short? | > | > Sorry for writing in such a complex manner but I am new at this. | > | > | |
Mungo Bulge wrote:

I was almost more help than you were.
mike
OH you guys! I couldn't have done it with out you!!!!
LLB

brassbend wrote:

It was nothing, really!
mike