3 Volt Miniature Heating Element?

Is this possible? I need to generate 200 Cdeg off of 1.5V batteries, but the element can be pretty small. Any ideas? Any applications in these parameters, that I could modify? Thanks, jstewart

mail snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
jstewart

Almost any resistor, rated for the temperature, will do as an element - if you can prevent enough of the heat escaping. The value of the resistor will depend on the amount of thermal insulation you can provide. If your starting point is, say, a vacuum flask, then the heat losses will be low and a relative high value resistor will do nicely.

A 4.5 or 6 v lamp may be a good starting point. It won't get to "incandescent" temperatures but should be over 200 deg.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

"jstewart" wrote

An RC glow-plug? They run off 1.5V and get red hot so I don't see why that couldn't heat a larger surface to 200C fairly easily.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The elements used in cordless soldering irons. They generally work at about 3.6 volts (3 nicad cells) and produce 240-260C. A typical brand is Ungar. Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz

Reply to
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources