58 watt Fluorescent Lamps Power Requirement

Please excuse the elementary question, but with a 5 foot fluorescent light the LPF and HPF types, (with and without a fitted power correction capacitor).
On a conventional domestic supply meter, which would register the higher power consumption or would they be the same.
Martin

Practically, they would both consume about the same power. The LPF (low power factor) will cause some additional power loss to be produced somewhere.
Bill

They would be the same.
LPF would draw approx twice the current though, which you have to bear in mind when working out circuit load and fusing, particularly when using several such fittings.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Depends on what the meter measures. USA residential meters measure true power, in other words, HPF and LPF will cost you the same, although it's always best to strive for as close to unity as possible, as it reduces waste in the resistance of the wire. Someone told me that power meters in some countries measure apparent power, I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then HPF will cost approximately half.

UK residential customers have to be metered on true power.
Power companies are allowed to use other schemes for non-residential customers.
--
Andrew Gabriel
So you can have a power factor of 0.1 at home and not be dinged for it?
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

The US is the same. Watt-hour meters measure energy.
--
Keith

     snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net writes:

Correct.
The EU has/is imposing minimum power factors on various volume electrical goods over certain power ratings.
--
Andrew Gabriel