For Hire: NYC E.E. Technician

Hello: I am interested in becoming an assistant to a Private of Corporate Electrical Engineer that runs & owns his or her own business.

I am highly unconventional, but i have conventional training and 20+ yrs experience in commercial & residential work.... I would like to do some industrial work., while with a Co. in Puerto Rico I rewired some plug & twist receptacles in a Milk Bottling Company.it was highly cool but that's all the industrial i've got };-)

I am just looking to share/obtain more experience and get out of the City Rut of low budget business and residential work.

I've lasting plans to got to NYIT someday for more specialized training and growth when time & money allow.

I have basic Electrical Tradesman Tools in tinted black leather pouch. new Kliens screwdriver set., cutter/stripper/pliers/tap reamer., jumper cables for testing & jumping circuits., awesome skills & some related industry connections.

1) Fluke Tester (open end ammeter) 1) Dewalt 80lbs torque power screwdrive. all y2k+ some old stuff.

an NCU J Card i renew every now & then., plus the will to learn and be a part of somthing bigger than this.

48 yong looking US Born (Puerto Rican parenthood) I speak & write Fluent Electricity:-) English & Spanish., completed HS the hard way + 3+yrs college + basic computer training.

If you are interested or need someone like this please say & ask away here anything that I might have missed.

I am listed: In Bronx NY and will respond to any interested professional party.I've no personal transportation but I'm willing to travel within the 5 boroughs & state line if the need and pay justify the travel.

  • no I am not a wanted felon or otherwise any kind of legal trouble.

Attentively & At Your Service; Mr.Roy Quijano Bronx, NY USA E.E.Technician

ps: other than this I enjoy the time & hanging out here with you all vested on the quest for the ultimate system };-) pss: oh I wear leather duds .

r.q.t./alt.e.e.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

of

own business.

and 20+ yrs

to do some

some plug &

cool but

out of the

specialized training

leather pouch.

reamer., jumper

some related

learn and be a

write Fluent

  • 3+yrs

ask away

professional

travel within

travel.

trouble.

Dear Roy... for better or worse you have to dress more or less like other tradesmen in order not to be ridiculed off of any industrial site in the US...weirdness is not tolerated for some good and some bad reasons... insurance risks are also an issue... the weird can be unpredictable..and that can result in million dollar insurance claims...

so if want to get hired in the US you must dress the part...no employer wishes to loose business by hiring someone who is going to look strange on a job site.

Sorry... thats just how it is.

If you want to be weird and get away with it get into sound stage and special effects work... and no I dont know how you might break into that business... you would start cheap though and stay cheap unless you became a world class sound stage engineer, there is a lot to know in that business, most not in text books. such as grossly oversizing the grounds and grounded neutrals, and grounding to many different places.... or land your own clients. Thats possible. Read a book about being an entrepreneur.

Weird does not typically work out well from the bottom up...it works once you get succcessful,... that is filthy rich... but not before that unless you are in show business...even then its dicy.

Phil Scott

you all

Reply to
Phil Scott

what are you talking about ?

i dress up to code (+): I wear rubber sole shoes., I wear a leather vest ~ it has pokets I can keep needed items in and protect my chest, I wear fingerless leather gloves ~ helps prevent carpal tunnel syndrome - if you've spliced many wires a day you know about this.

If you think that's wierd, too bad for you,

The advice maybe ok though, those movie guys (what are the called Grips?) they load up a system so bad it leaves the rest of the place as dim as your response.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

btw}

Illustrious Phil: Are you even any where near NYC? or did you just want to tell me you think I'm inadequate for your operation.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

If you have an E.E. project and are interested in a technical hand to help see it through, I want to be your man.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

leather vest

chest, I wear

syndrome - if

called

the place as

I was trying to be helpful..YOU said you were real wierd and dressed in leather..not me. Now you are saying its just gloves and a vest and that you are not weird... and you are being abusive about it? Not impressive... such a mental set and your previous remarks about being strange will insure you stay out of the high end work...thats for sure.

Your behavior and remarks indicate a life spent at the low end of the business as you confirmed... I was trying to indicate that the rules change drastically when you get into the industrial market.

Carry on now with your trash job...but its neither fruitful for you nor impressive. Its low end pal. In the industrial market things get tricky and the liabilities increase dramatically, it is respect among peers at that level that works.

You are simply not a peer at that level with anyone... to get there you will need to modify your behavior along the lines suggested.. my remarks were fully in in that spirit and addressing your original post.

Now sorry, but this will be my final response to you. Unpleasantness of the sort you dish out is not needed or useful to anyone...especially yourself. You are sabataging your own career.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

tell me you

I do projects nationally and rarely internationally, industrial controls primarily...Im semi retired now, I dont have much of a crew anymore, a lot of my work these days is consulting outside of the engineering business.

You are being defensive. I was not trying to insult you, I was trying to respond to your apparent goal of getting into the high end electrical business (and you are right, thats where the money is... but it takes a different set of behaviors than you were demonstrating to be accepted onto any industrial site...that has nothing to do with me...I am relating to you that this is how it is in the business.. self declared weird people who say they dress in leather just are not the types that get past the security gate.)

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

I wouldn't touch you with a 3 meter pole. You started out saying your experience is pretty much low voltage. On the thread about popping manhole covers you seem impervious to the explanations about the real cause after several very good explanations. Arcflash is dangerous, powerfull and now recognized ( see new NEC) as a situation that needs trained people. Thes people understand that electric arcs are not the ones you see on TV on the control panel of the Enterprize. The first step of wisdom is admitting ignorance. If you don't know something listen to them that does. The last person I want work with/for me is someone who knows everything, is unwilling to learn and wants to argue about it. Heres a quizz for you, What Scotch (Irvington ) 77 (7700) tape and whats it used for?

Reply to
BJ Conner

Works good for lip sealing

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

He will probably need instructions. This is by far the best response I have ever seen! Good job.

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Phil: Thank you for your concern.

" Unconventional " is not weird and is very helpful when analizing circuits.

I appreciate your attempt to help and it's ok if you decide not to respond any more. you may think I'm abusive, but i recently derecruited a helper because he was too rough with my material and broke an item that turned out to be more difficult to replace than I expected. Like a willow I can bend, like a pro i can mend, if that is low level, swell, the low level clients i got live & work a better business life because of I am thus.

Don't hold wanting to prosper against me. I do my end.

Roy

ps: at the risk of sounding abusive: one of my ongoing jobs was for the U.N. Embassador to Japan.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Maybe I do have a little attitude problem, who doesn't in this business?., but I am faithful, respectful of authority (being nearly one myself) and keep my hands where they belong.

I am also a security buff [have done many related jobs] and the leather commands nothing but respect. I wear pins on my vest., and badges when required to.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

BJ: it's probably some Self Fusing High Voltage Insulation Tape used for insulating high voltage connections.

I haven't worked on Industrial High Voltage circuits, never said i had.

& I never said to know everything, I'm just a Corona Dope when it comes to new products for the trade., and what ever it is I have never worked with it, assuming Scotch=AE 77 or 7700 excists at all.

I do not want to go near any type of people or equipment that would put me in any kind of undue danger.

so i could use the 3 meter pole myself ...

Seems to me you guys are under the impression that want to climb poles or mess around Dangerous High Voltage Energized Equipment, as if that is all Electrical Engineers do., that is not the case ... I am not looking for a Blaze of Glory either.

It's a crime to tape someones mouth, it's called unlawful restraint., and like Illegal Taps, Punsihable by Paw.

you may think that is funny but i would'nt do it., even if it cheered the whole world up.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Roy, some of us do work on high voltage equipment, some of which is quite old. We employ a variety of insulating materials which include products made of glass, mica, ceramic, teflon, and the ever popular air and vacuum. other exotic materials such as beryllium oxide occasionally come into play.

I have seen new equipment lately which requires high voltage tape on the lid or shield to prevent arcing. it seems that economics and marketing dictate that products must become smaller, cheaper, and more compact yet still perform the same function.

At only 600 volts per layer of regular electricians tape you can see that there might be times when the HV stuff is needed.

Having just completed repairs on a box i have nicknamed "the Kavorkian" im trying to decide how to procede with a problem of bleeder resistors which are destroying themselves. These are 4 225 watt 100K resistors wired in series parrallel accross 9,000 volts DC. Thier function is to discharge the HV capacitor when the unit is turned off before the door is opened. once the door is opened it shorts the HV section. if the bleeders are not functioning the resulting "explosion" is loud and scary. If i decide to double the number of resistors i can see how some of this hi voltage high temp tape could come in handy for me.

Reply to
TimPerry

Mr. Perry: Glad to see that you're using everything available, [not all contractors do] this is a no jokes field when it comes to that sector... and t's good to have a humorous but, morbid awareness of it as you do...

I am surprised the enclosure "Kavorkian" or box does not come readily insulated for the HV application., but a good serviceman holds his own with what's available. i've stayed away from HV rooms and closets but am now more technically confident & aware.

I would guess some rubber flame retardant paint or liquid insulation could come in handy. you could probably paint it safe with several lasting coats and extend it's life & looks even more.

Recently I work on a 15KV circuit and though it's low current I treat it with kit gloves and off always. I've got it looking good but I will need

4-6 pass throughs & to totally secure it. (just neon) I may make my own retrofitting kit, i encounter some terrible assemblies around here.

  • Can't you design some type of indicator light assembly Off The Boxed HV Circuit to let you know if & when the Bleeders are fine or not? it'd free you up some ....

I'd rather test an indicator lamp circuit than a HV suspect anytime };-0 Considering the hazards .... zzztzzzzzzt

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

These are 4 225 watt 100K resistors wired in

Just curious, Tim, what is the process that uses 9kvdc? I can't begin to imagine how you would snuff that arc when a switch opens. Are the arc chutes bigger [than AC] or is something else like a vacuum job used?

In another life I had to repair medium voltage and switchyard stuff. We had a 2300v starter cabinet like your "Kevorkian". A man disabled the interlock mechanism and either shorted or opened the stabs under load. The thing burned down and he later died of 3rd degree burns. Company replaced the guts of the starter and left the creepy smoked-up cabinet that served as a reminder.

Happily, that part of my life is over.

Reply to
C. Upskirts

big metal box plus metal external HV supply. safe enough in normal operation.

but a good serviceman holds his own

it has a plate voltage meter. however of you power it down and fail to notice that the main cap is still charged before you open the door you get a big bang when the grounding contact does its thing.

Reply to
TimPerry

I see; you have to discharge the capacitor with "kavorkian" .

in my early days I grabbed an ac by the sides while open to move it around some and inadvertently the cap discharged through my arms and chest., it was quick but alarming., good thing it was only (ac household) -500volts on the stored charge ., my guess the 9K goes up

30-40KV+ in that capacitor.

you know it shouldn't be such a problem discharging them, but i see it's important to do so. It's how one goes about it that is tricky or may vary.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

no 9.3 K DC is on the cap.. it is however a large cap (about the 2 gallon size)

the PS does require rectifier stacks with a 30,000 peak inverse voltage rating or greater

in some units the bleeders are switched in by opening the doors.

some units have grounded shorting sticks that are mounted in holders which in turn have interlock microswitches. the unit will not turn on unless the safety stick has been properly seated in its holder. in this case the sticks are mounted internally.

Reply to
TimPerry

How do you get -500 volts on a cap served from household voltage? I assume you mean 240V AC as the household voltage.

Odd that you think that. Capacitors do not double, triple, or in any other way increase the voltage. They charge to the voltage applied.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry