Interested in your opinions.

Hello everyone, I am very interested in your opinions in a new venture I am considering. I am proposing setting up an attraction, whereby there is a high quality Railway constructed for the use of Model engineers. The track would consist of scale curves, and gentle inclines, such that Mainline models such as Kings and Princesses could operate without screaming wheel flanges. We are probably talking about a mile or two of track here.

On the same site would be a guest house, or a series of log cabins. What you prefer, full board or something less regimented, so that you could get maximum Railway time, or maximum chatting time with like minded people.

Not sure what the wives would do though. Perhaps this would be something to consider. Or have a sister attractions doing sewing or arts and crafts or something?

Like I said, I am very interested in your opinions.

Many thank,

Robert.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

WHERE ?

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech

UK based, Wales.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

In message , Robert Wilson writes

What scale/track gauge?

Reply to
Mike H

Well I was thinking both 5 inch and 7.25. That would capture most audience I think.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

In message , Robert Wilson writes

How will your project fit alongside the GL5 Society and GL5 complexes such as Gilling?

Reply to
Mike H

Well what I am proposing is different to a club track. I would be offering on site high quality accomodation so that it is a holiday venue.

Well i'll ask the question differently. Would you be interested in a holiday location like this? There is nothing else on offer like this and I would personally do something like this.

Regards,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Are you planning just to provide the track (BYO loco/rolling stock) or will you have locos etc. that the punters can play with too? I would have thought the latter would broaden the market a bit to those that haven't access to models/track but fancy having a go. You could offer training (pun not intended) etc...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I wish you well but regret to say that the answer is no for at least three main reasons...

1, To my mind, getting thoroughly dirty, smeared with sooty oil, and smelling of burnt anthracite is somehow incompatible with, and likely to be unpopular with, "on site high quality accommodation". 2, If I am to take my loco elsewhere it is likely to be a rally, competition or event hosted by another club. This is because the social aspect is a factor in my choice. Which is why I shall probably attend the Northern Association NGLEC at Oswestry this year but not the Southern Federation IMLEC. The former has no pretensions to being anything other than a fun event, in the latter the participants take themselves too seriously. 3, My primary interest (all scales and gauges) leans toward narrow gauge.
Reply to
Mike H

Not sure about that. There are probably many good reasons why that is impossible to do. Insurance and competence for a kick off. How do you know know when someone turns up they have not idea how to fire a loco, or i they know anything about signalling and so forth. I suppose you could limit visitors without their own traction to a battery electric locomotive. Would be cheaper as well.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

You point about the high quality accomodation being affected by smelly and sooty locomotive enthusiasts is a fair one. I would have thought that being able to meet up with other Model engineers in this kind of environment would be a good thing.

Obviously setting up something like this would take an enormous amount of investment.

I may be driven towards setting up an online questionnaire. Or turning up a an exhibition and asking people questions as they go in. I don't like being harried by people with clipboards. Perhaps some nice young women would get a better response from attendees?

Cheers for your thoughts anyway, they are useful.

Regards,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

It sounds like an interesting and fun holiday, but probably only for a couple of days. Worth pursuing I think tho, or doing more market research.

Good luck!

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

I know it's not really related, but I'm sure I've heard guys at work talking about similar kind of set-ups around commercial fishing ponds. It might be worth having a look at what those type of venues offer as regards accomodation and amenities, plus activities for non- participants. A bar would be a good idea;).

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

On or around Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:04:14 +0100, Robert Wilson enlightened us thusly:

whereabouts?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mid Wales, near Newtown.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

I suppose it depends on the individual. If there are enough changes of locomotive then someone may want to stay for a while. There's lots to do round these parts with all the narrow gauge Railways etc etc.

This is only the start of the Market research. banks won't want to touch me unless there is a thoroughly research business plan.

Cheers,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson