Aerial photos and historic maps

Hi,

I am new to USENET and new to this group. I found the group whilst searching for historic aerial photos and maps of the Cuckmere Valley/ Exceat close to Seaford in East Sussex which was the site of a 2ft gauge industrial railway for much of the middle half of the 20th century (certainly 1930-1960). I live in Seaford and as a narrow gauge industrial railway fan am naturally interested. Here is an historic aerial photo from ukaerialphotos.com in which you can just about make out some track (zoom in to 1/2km x 1/2km).

I would like to call on the combined knowledge of the group to advise me on the whereabouts either on the web or elsewhere of historic maps and other historic aerial photos of this area. I am hoping to find something that more clearly shows the trackbed. I have a historic map from the 'Sussex Narrow Gauge' book by Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith but it is pretty sparse on detail. I feel sure there is some better material out there, higher resolution, more detailed. I am balking slightly at paying =A376 to ukaerialphotos.com without knowing that the photo will show anything new.

Many thanks

Nigel Lawton

NigelLawton009

You could try the online maps/aerial photo sites like Google Maps

and Microsoft's live service
that would show you the area as in the last few years (sometimes even the last few days). What you won't get is historical aerial photos. I imagine if you're after very specific locations, you'll have to pay for those. For maps, try the local library for the area, as they should either have, or know where to view, maps of the local area.

Hopefully someone else might be able to provide more specific information as I can only comment on a general note.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

The map I have is OS 1950 1:10,560 and other historic OS maps I have seen do not show the railway.

search for exceat.

Reply to
NigelLawton009

I get this error when I access that URL:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: '[string: ""]'

/viewer.asp, line 168

Bad code, IOW.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Google and Yahoo! truncate/break URLs, hence the ...

Reply to
MartinS

It worked fine for me.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They truncate the display of a URL but when you click on it you are taken to the original URL.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

2D+1954&x=551842&y=98465&s=2000&sl=0.5&year= I'm pasting and breaking into 3 pieces the URL as displayed in T'bird, just to make sure word-wrap doesn't do funny things on your machine:

So...????

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

2D+1954&x=551842&y=98465&s=2000&sl=0.5&year=>

That link has an extra > in it, due to my reply.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Try the local studies section of the appropriate main library. If they don't have maps and pics, they probably know someone who might.

I'd have thought there's a good change the Luftwaffe would have some photos of the south coast, if they've survived somewhere.

What was the line for?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

I have some Luftwaffe photos of Coventry taken before and after the Blitz. Despite the many railway bridges being clearly marked on the photos they managed to miss every one of them! This was crucial as although the main line was closed, trains were able to be diverted via the many freight bypass lines that existed in the city at that time.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I expect bridges are very hard to destroy with high altitude bombing.Unless you get a direct hit,the most likely result is a big splash.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

With the technology of the day, hitting the right city was about the best you could be fairly sure of, getting the right area of the city took a lot of doing.

Destroying the viaduct at Bielfeld took a lot of doing:

"A further raid was attempted on March 9th but again this was aborted due to low cloud over the target. Over three million kilograms of high explosive had been dropped on the structure but, although potmarked and chipped, it still stood firm."

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Having read several books on WWII bombing, it would seem that the standard of accuracy for high altitude bombing was in the order of five miles, given accurate marking. Britain and Germany could approximately hit major/large cities and the yanks usually hit major countries.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz:

To be honest by war's end the standard of accuracy was pretty high - at least by those crews who'd survived. It turned out (as you suggest) that RAF night bombing was more accurate than USAAF daylight bombing. Crack crews apart.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I was refering to massed bombers. The Pathfinders, low level, special target and the like were much more accurate. The improvements in high level bombing came through improved techniques which reduced rollbacks etc. (my uncle (didn't survive) was an RAF bomber pilot)

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sorry to hear that.

My late father was a navigator on Lancasters. He started off in RAF Coastal Command but the attrition rate in Bomber Command was so high they had to draft in crews from anywhere and everywhere.

Incidentally he gives the lie to the "no atheists in foxholes" nastiness. He went in atheist and came out atheist.

Just like my maternal grandfather during WW1 - he was an atheist in the trenches.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I think 7 of my maternal Grandmother's brothers plus my paternal Grandfather (and his cousin) served in the front-line trenches in WWI. I don't think there was a practicing Christian amongst them. One of them escaped from a German POW camp and into Belgium by hanging underneath a hay cart. (I'm sure there's more to that story but I never heard any more) Grandfather and cousin were injured and recuperated with family in Bradford. Grandad married a nurse from the L&YR hospital train who lived in Bradford.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Arthur,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I am hoping to see some Luftwaffe photos in a book I have requested from my local library. The line was used to carry sand and gravel (shingle) from the beach for use in road and railway building. The beach is a natural deposition point and there were historically problems with the Cuckmere river mouth blocking because of this, although in recent decades since gravel extraction ceased this has not been a problem probably because of groynes and concrete banks. The railway existed from about 1933 until the second world war then afterwards until the early 60s with pretty much all trace having been removed by 1967. There is a nice little book by Gote House called 'Reflections from the Cuckmere Valley' which includes a history of the railway (although this contains a few inaccuracies and misunderstandings which I can correct if anyone reads the book). I hope to build an 009 model of this line at some point.

Regards

Nigel

Reply to
NigelLawton009

Only if you are reading the post on Google Groups...

Reply to
MartinS