Another Model Shop lost

I heard yesterday that Shrewsbury Model Shop is to close it's town centre shop, and move to the outskirts where it is to become a Mail Order ONLY business. I know it won't affect this group much, but it is another nail in the coffin for those of us that still like to see items in the flesh (so as to speak) before we buy

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

"Keith J Patrick" wrote

TMC [1] went into administration in March and have supposedly been bought out by Modelzone, whilst it is being suggested elsewhere that TWO of the large mail order retailers may be in trouble.

[1} after allegedly having been refinanced twice since they were launched not so many years ago.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Apparently, this is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. The strongest and most efficient will survive and the weakest will go to the wall.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

wrote

Not disputing that at all. :-)

Just occasionally wish some of the model trade would realise that sensible profits are necessary to have a successful business. The model trade is sadly full of clowns who think you can survive without realistic profit levels.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

and people that will buy from the cheaper biggies...

I like the high street, but I shop at supermarkets to keep my bills down... paradox.

I am a hypocrite.

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

trade is

I blame the customers who want something for nothing and think they are being clever when they buy online or mail order rather than pay a few quid more and buy from their local model shop - rather than only use them for tins of paint, bushes and other consumables - then complain when the shop goes bust or is closed due to the owner not wanting to go down that route.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

So much for the "free market" concept of choice. Actually, it's an oligarchy.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Just like the "privatised" public transport system.

Reply to
MartinS

If I could put in a good word for this excellent shop, they are retailing the recent Bachmann 37/0 at £46.50 - I believe that is cheaper than anywhere else on the net - and you can walk in and view it before purchase.

It will be a great shame if they close down.

Reply to
Gary Carter

I paid £43 for mine, but walked in for them to my local model shop, which is a 30 mile round trip!

Reply to
Piemanlager

"Gary Carter" wrote

Has it not dawned on you that by selling the 37/0 at £46.50 they are not making enough profit to stay open?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A few quid?

My nearest local model shop is selling Bachmann Standard 5MTs for =A379.95 each (and it is the best part of 10 miles away). A quick glance through a few well known mail order web pages shows the same locos on sale for between =A355 and =A362. Even if I discount the cost of a 20 mile return trip and add postage onto the cheaper item, and I buy 8-10 locos per year (not unusual for me) I am going to spend =A3150 more at the local shop. I dont see how you can carp at people like me for thinking we are being clever, without admitting that anyone who buys the more expensive version is being stupid.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

That's some walk!

Reply to
MartinS

Sorry John, that would require thinking farther than the short term, and that is not advocated by politicians and the media these days.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

We all weigh-up the pros & cons and come to our own conclusions. I am fortunate to have a good model shop 5 mins away (or a 20 min walk). Said shop is large enough and busy enough to offer fair prices which are not too far away from the mail-order big-boys. Taking into account P&P, I end up paying 2 or 3 pounds over the mail order price, but for that, I get a tested product which could be easily returned if there was a problem. Into the bargain, I can browse beforehand and I have a useful selection of second-hand stock at sensible (as opposed to Ebay) prices.Then of course, there is the issue of how you buy all those "bits & bobs" - the plasticard, the paint, the glue, the scenery kits, transfers, tools etc etc....which are more difficult to buy on-line - and difficult to buy without being able to browse.

If my local shop (actually I have another close to my workplace) wasn't so good, I may come to a different conclusion, but I'd hate to see it fold, so I support it. I suppose what I am saying is that there are good 'uns and not-so-good 'uns. If you are lucky enough to have a good shop, it makes sense to support it. Even if you don't have a good shop near you, you aren't stuck with the large faceless box-shifters. There are small independant traders such as Mr Turner who will do mail order at sensible prices.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

John, TMC- Is this the Trafford Model Centre ? or The Model Centre ? (Or are both the one and same?)

Andy

"Keith J Patrick" wrote

TMC [1] went into administration in March and have supposedly been bought out by Modelzone, whilst it is being suggested elsewhere that TWO of the large mail order retailers may be in trouble.

[1} after allegedly having been refinanced twice since they were launched not so many years ago.

John.

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I can't believe TMC are in trouble because of low prices. Their shop in Nottingham is VERY expensive (even more-so than GeeDee Models, who are quite pricey).

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

I believe they are both the same.

Heard today that Modelzone have only agreed to take them on board for a probationary six month period during which time the viability of TMC will be assessed and a decision made to decide which if any of the TMC stores will remain open.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Robert Flint" wrote

I suspect they were in toruble because of extremely high overheads and a top heavy management structure.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Robert Flint" wrote

I can't believe TMC are in trouble because of low prices. Their shop in Nottingham is VERY expensive (even more-so than GeeDee Models, who are quite pricey).

ROB

Yeah, I'm not so sure... Some items are quite competitive.... But when you look as you walk through Broadmarsh and see the staff playing with the radio controlled cars cause there is no one in the shop ! (which says a lot) you have to ask is the location right? That upper Mall is not that busy unless you are going to Wimpey or Forbidden Planet, or better still, the exit to the railway station or trams!

Meadowhall is a very pokey store in comparison I wonder if they do any better with which super shopping centre they are in?

Andy