Southern Pride Class 205

Hi all,

I'm gradually completing a Southern Pride kit of a class 205 unit. I'm struggling a bit with all the underframe detail. Does anybody have any photos of a completed kit, or can suggest a web site that has such photos, that I can use for reference. I've found a few with pictures of prototypes but not being an engineer or an out and out train buff I'm still none the wiser.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Check out Nigel Burkin's excellent modelling pages. He's got a host of detail shots of Thumpers which you should find useful.

Also the SEMG site in an invaluable resource for anyone modelling anything Southern - 205s here:
Both sites were most useful when I was researching the Electra 205 kits.

Reply to
Adam

What's a TOPS class 205....

Oh you mean 3H units, thumpers are Newcastle United team mates !

Why do people use silly names when there is are at least two valid class descriptions available perhaps it just goes to show how much everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator these days. :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes a 3H. Class 205 (3H) is actually what it says on the box.

Adam >> Thanks, I did see Nigel's pages. None of the photos show quite the right detail though unfortunately so still searching. I'm thinking some field research on the Spa Valley or elsewhere may be required.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's not just these days... "blood & custard" was bad enough, but "plum & spilt milk" - crap... it's not as if milk changes colour when "spilt". It was just a weak attempt to demean.

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

Oh dear, I seem to have invoked the wrath of the Daily Mail letters page mob. There's nothing that gets my goat more than someone posting who has nothing to offer to a praticular thread than to criticise the grammar.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of SR unit fans accept the word "Thumper" as an affectionate nickname for the DEMUs.

If one wanted to be *really* pedantic (Heaven forbid that's the case here), why not question the use of Deltics to describe Class 55s, Westerns for 52s or Halls and Castles for that matter?

Sigh....

Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam

In message , Adam writes

I don't know about you but trainmen called "Western" "1000s" "Warships" "800s" and "Hymeks" 7000s", further the 800s were split into low number and high number for good reliability and poor reliability. The small NBL/MAN engines were just called 63s and what a lot of people call teddy bears were just called 95s.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

"Adam" <

"Thumper"?????

They was "'Ampshires" in my day.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The term 'Deltic' was used by the EE Co. to describe the loco's, the

52's were called 'Westerns due to their common naming scheme, the same is true regarding the Castle class. They were not names that could be used to describe any number of loco's or stock, clue, the engine that the H3 DEMU has (which is what caused them to be called 'Thumpers' by some ignoranus train-spotters) was also installed in the Hastings units and the class 73 amongst others, they all 'Thump'.

Sign indeed, if you want to show your ignorance in public...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

(which is what caused them to be called 'Thumpers' by some ignoranus train-spotters)

Well done, Jerry - I think that you have alienated the vast majority of modern-image SR modellers :-) Technically, of course, you are correct but that was not the point of the post.

Sign indeed, if you want to show your ignorance in public...

Miaow! Handbags at dawn!

TTFN Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam

In message , Clive Coleman writes

Up here in Scotland, a "Thousand" referred to a Class 20 (1000 h.p.)

Reply to
Kenny

In message , Kenny writes

The "Westerns" were referred to as 1000s because that was their numbering right throughout their lives.

Reply to
Clive Coleman