Anyone here model Heller's HMS Victory?

I'm just starting the kit now and am looking for some photos of the actual ship, not the model. I've been searching online and found quite a few but
would love to get as many detailed photos of the ship as possible before moving foward. Did any of you visit the ship camera in hand?
Rick

Umm -- why not visit HMS Victory yourself? http://www.hms-victory.com /
There have been quite a few threads about building the Heller kit in r.m.s. in the last few years -- watched, admiringly, from afar (very admiringly, and very afar!) by folks like myself.
Here's a recipe for finding news threads in Google:
In Google select "Groups" for your search (under the Google logo)
Click Advanced Groups search
Type in the words you want in the upper left quadrant e.g. heller victory
For "Return only messages from the group at this location" type -- for example -- "rec.models.scale" [that would restrict the searches to only r.m.s - you may not want to do that].
Click Google Search, upper right
In the results, click "Sort by date", upper right, to get the most current discussions.
Good Luck! John
I'm trying to avoid the plane trip across the pond otherwise I'd just go and take my own pics. The funny thing about the pics is that I never any 'unofficial' pics of the decks, only images of the outside of the ship. I had heard that pics of the decks weren't allowed ... has anyone else heard that? If so, it doesn't seem to make any sense to me but if its true, I'm sure there is a logical reason.
Rick
wrote:

actual
but

Sorry Rick - I wasn't implying you should fork out hundreds of $ and visit the ship (you don't want to do that, even if you could afford it, at this miserable time of year!) I only meant: have a look at the website, which is the next nearest thing .... except - as you say - for a genuine "Modeller's Walkround" type album.
Cheers John
John wrote:

Hi.
I'm not a ship guy, buy IIRC, both the real Victory and the Heller kit's represent the ship at different points in time ? If I remember a show I watched right, the Victory today, is different than when she was at Trafalgar.
--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

OS X 10.4.8

What - are you implying that she wasn't set in concrete at the battle?
:)
cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Carl Dershem wrote:

No, just that some of the rigging, and other fixtures and spaces were different at different times in her life.
--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

OS X 10.4.8
I expect that you're right Allan but that is not an issue. My reasoning for wanting to see pictures of the ship as she stands right now is to get a better feel for the 'lay of the land' so to speak. When I modeled the USS Constitution I visited her about twice a month for the two years it took to complete the model. There is just something special about stepping on deck of the ship you're modelling that I can't quite explain - if you've done it, you understand. Granted, there are differences in the current configuration vs the Trafalgar configuration - but they're generally not so dramatic that it detracts from the overall experience. The kit I'm using will be quite specific about the rigging I'm sure. And the color scheme is well defined too, but the photos will show in minute detail things that the manufacturer of this kit never planned like nuances in color variation throughout the deck, woodwork, and yes, to a certain extent the paint scheme. Also, the kit doesn't show the types of knots used for all the rigging. I have books for reference that help a lot in this area and guides that outline proper line diameters so its not a big issue either ... no, the pictures are just to make me more comfortable with the kit before I dive into it in earnest. Thanks for your concern however!
Rick Piatt

But there are deck pictures here
http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&ItemidY&catid=2
I'll be working at the HM Dockyard this thursday so I'll pop round and see her at lunchtime - won't get time to do a tour though I'm afraid.
Cheers,
Nigel
RickPiatt said the following on 20/11/06 06:33:

I wonder if the video tour is for sale ?
<http://www.flagship.org.uk/accessibility.htm <http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/museum_gfx_en/AM17393.html <http://www.hmsvictory.ngfl.gov.uk/victory/index.cfm?p tivity&la=3&idq5>
Richard.
--
"Naturally the common people don't want war, but they can always be
brought to the bidding of the leaders. Tell them they are being
Richard Brooks said the following on 20/11/06 16:33:

Further to my other post.

<http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=content&task tegory&sectionid=8&id&ItemidX>