Baldwin backhead detail?

Hi all, can anyone point me to drawings or photographs of Baldwin boiler backhead details, builders date circa 1898. The loco I'm building has a Belpaire type firebox. (Narrow gauge would be even better)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Out of curiosity and possible clarification, what are you modeling?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ask

maybe?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

There is a catalog of Baldwin locos that was reprinted some years ago. I think that it was a turn of the century catalog. FWIW, referance books are often found used and I've found

to be an excellent search engine for used/new books.

-- Bob May

Bob May

I have a copy of the book Locomotives that Baldwin built. I looked through it when the question first came up. There is no picture or drawing of the backhead from a locomotive from that time.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

You might try the below site. There are different forums under the site name.

Rich

I'm modelling a New Zealand Railways Class Ub, first series. NZR in 1898 was short of "larger" locos as regional branches were linking up so runs were suddenly getting much longer. At that stage locos were sourced about 67% from Britain, 33% from NZR works. The Brits had supplied some less than ideal locos and their delivery times were out to three years. Baldwin offered to build some

4-6-0s and deliver inside a year. NZR initially ordered 10. I gather these were their standard 3' gauge locos with the wheels out to 3'6". The tender was only 6'8" wide and I'm guessing it's underframe was straight off the rack as there are features that are somewhat odd for the gauge and the much wider loading gauge. The last of these locos was scrapped in 1936, but they were dumped in riverbeads as flood protection and at least two have been dug up recently and are being rebuilt privately.

I've now found a backhead shot - train accident which removed the cab, so the photo shows the backhead without even shadows! :-)

My current problem is the arrangement of the connection between loco and tender. The NZR General Arrangement Drawing doesn't match the photos I have. The main frame is a 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" "U" girder bent around all four corners at about 9" radius, but the photos show a narrower rectangular extension on the front. I've looked at another Baldwin tender underframe of the same year(WMR 2-8-0 Steam Incorporated. Paekakariki, NZ) which has the same sort of frame but without an extension and I can't see how it could be extended and still cope with tractive forces.

The model, NZR Ub conversion kit for Bachmann G 4-6-0.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Thanks Bob.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I found quite a lot of information in a Google search but no backhead detail in a few links I looked at. Have fun looking

Rich

Here are some more links to look through.

Rich

I went looking through my library with no results. It's as bad as web browsing. I pick up a book, read something and then get distracted for an hour or so. Then another book has a nugget of information and off I go again. Found lots of pics with Baldwin boilers from the side or front. As you would imagine.

I'm happy you found something useful.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:16:54 +1200, Rich wrot= e:

Thanks Rich!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I know the problem of checking books and getting distracted, the loco started as a project for rail fixings! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter