have you heard about this?

the other day,i was in Home Depot,(not to be confused with a train depot)and i eas looking through the foamboard to see what might work best to lay my trck(ho) on.the salesman recommended something called Super Tuff-R.it was in the "insulstion"section. it came in several thickmesses.anyone heard of it? anyone use it?

Reply to
badger

Never heard of it. How much is a sheet of the stuff? You can always try a sheet of the stuff if you want and evaluate it. If it is a good stuff, then it will work nice for you. I'll note that almost anything will work to some degree or another as roadbed as even stuff like Homasote has been used as roadbed even tho it is highly reactive to water vapor. And there is also the soft foam that is being sold for that purpose.

-- Bob May

Bob May

From their website:

Super TUFF-RT Insulation is one of the most durable - and thermally efficient - insulation products offered for residential applications today. Three-ply poly/aluminum foil facers laminated to the high-performance polyisocyanurate foam core enable exceptional durability and water vapor resistance. One facer is blue while the other facer is radiant barrier-quality reflective foil.

Having the aluminum foil layer would seem to be a big problem for our sort of use, unless you'll only have a nice flat surface. And this product only goes up to 1" thickness.

I'd stick to the pink or the blue!

Val

Reply to
vmanes

the ones i saw in Home Depot were frrom 11 something to 20 something,depending on thickness

Reply to
badger

also,what's the name of that railroad foam,and how much is it?

Reply to
badger

Don't remember the name but it has been bandied about on this forum. Since I don't use stuff like that, I've also got no idea of the price of it. Due to the way that I run trains (slow) I'm not really that interested in noise reduction. I use solid spine roadbed (5 sticks for HO single track) on 1/2" plywood where many tracks are and floating on mainline sections. Some consider the technique noisy but it does make for nice smooth curves and good straights to lay track on.

-- Bob May

Bob May