I love the smell of napalm at Home Depot

I was at Home Depot and saw that they sell "gelled fuel" now. This
fuel is almost like napalm in properties, except that the burning
agent is alcohol and not benzene. It was on sale and I bought a couple
of bottles to experiment.
Ignoramus17662
It's been around since 1900 in the form of Sterno, but since you mention "bottles" I'm guessing it's more like the starter fluid used for starting pellet stoves... also not new to Home Depot. They've been selling it at least as long as they've been selling pellet stoves.
Reply to
Steve Ackman
speaking of fuel, every gallon can of kerosene at the home depot by me was rusted out and leaking. the pallet looks like it was dredged from the bottom of a river.
There's also this other obnoxious trend of packaing small fasteners (say 10-24 threaded parts) into bags with stupid quantities like 3.
I'm waiting for the 5 pack of batteries at the counters next.
I'd have tried a local hardware store, but since they only keep bankers' hours, it's not hard to see why they're shutting themselves out of business.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
That used to be known as "Sterno". Maybe it still is.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Is it just large bottles of sterno, Ig? I don't find it listed at my local Borg store.
OMG, denatured alcohol is up to $15.29 a gallon now!
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Sterno uses a different gelling agent. I think the disinfecting stuff uses some form of soap. Dollar store for cheap bottles of that. And all solvents are in a dizzying spiral up. I used to pay less than $5 for a gallon of acetone, less than a buck for the cheap mineral spirits. Cheapest place now for solvents is one of the local Ace hardwares, believe it or not.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
Probably for gel fuel ventless fireplaces....
Reply to
Rick
Web site also shows citronella fuel gel in 32 oz jugs, etc...
Reply to
Rick
Ig, E-85 is just $2.60 a gallon. Maybe you need to consider that "denatured alcohol" (denatured with gasoline), and use it for most things you would the other.
You can also gel the stuff...
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
OK.
Dollar stores sell 50% iso while everyone else sells 70% and 90%. It all works well for removing latex paint and cleaning skin, but I buy the more pure denatured stuff for making shellac and cleaning woodwork prior to finishing.
I'll have to check that out the next time I'm in one. Danke.
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Lloyd, that stuff would be more dangerous, stinky as hell, and would probably rule out insurance coverage wherever it was used. Pass.
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
I said for "most" things. You certainly wouldn't want to thin lacquers or shellac with it, but for burning in alcohol stoves and the like, I can attest that it works just fine, and does NOT stink if burnt, rather than being allowed to evaporate.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Jell-o and grain alcohol:
Cheers! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
I've used plain old gasoline - mixed with fine sawdust and wrapped in a napkin - as a fire starter.
It's not gelled, but it does the same thing - slow down vaporization so that the fire burns longer and doesn't go up in one big Hollywood blaze.
Reply to
CaveLamb
In Korea, I've seen gasoline-fired space heaters. Didn't stink too bad, when you consider that Korea generally smells vaguely of garlic breath and shit.
Cheers! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
It's not sterno, it's fuel for the latest fad of "fire pots". Basically some ceramic shape with a well in the top you fill with the napalm and watch it burn.
Reply to
Pete C.