CPR Pullman coaches in Austria/Italy.

Hi all,

this is not an April fools joke nor a troll ;-) I've come across a reference in a book to a complete train of Pullman coaches, built for the Canadian Pacific Railway, to European dimensions, and sent to Austria. Apparently, although supposition by the author, these coaches were intended for emigrants to entice them to Canada and ran to Triest, perhaps from Vienna. They were apparently "aging" in 1914 which might date their construction to 1885-1900. Some ended up in Italy after WWI and were used on the Italian Royal train until 1928.

Is anyone knowledgeable on Canadian or Pullman history and can point me to any American references or even European references?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

=>Hi all, =>

=>this is not an April fools joke nor a troll ;-) =>I've come across a reference in a book to a complete train of Pullman =>coaches, built for the Canadian Pacific Railway, to European dimensions, =>and sent to Austria. Apparently, although supposition by the author, =>these coaches were intended for emigrants to entice them to Canada and =>ran to Triest, perhaps from Vienna. =>They were apparently "aging" in 1914 which might date their construction =>to 1885-1900. =>Some ended up in Italy after WWI and were used on the Italian Royal =>train until 1928. =>

=>Is anyone knowledgeable on Canadian or Pullman history and can point me =>to any American references or even European references? =>

=>Regards, =>Greg.P. =>

I have a short article on these cars clipped from an Eisenbahn magazine. Mail me off-list at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca, and I will mail you a photocopy (better than a scan.)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir