Baldwin drawings needed

Hi one & all. I'm somewhat stuck with my next project and thought who better to ask than you guys? I fancy building a Baldwin 10-12-D in 7 1/4" gauge - like the ones used on the Ashover (and the Welsh Highland, Leighton Buzzard etc.) but can't find a source of drawings. I know I could take camera & notebook to L B but 'real' plans would be so much better. Any ideas?? Many thanks, Clive.

Reply to
clive

Hi Clive,

Did you ever start your 10/12/D?

I began work on mine in 1995 and then gave up for a decade. I'v hopefully attached some info and a photo of the beast.

As for drawings I'm scaling up from a Baldwin erecting drawing and th drawings produced by Roy C LInk. Along with a visit to LB and the sam loco while she was at Alan Keefs.

Rose

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: Building a Baby Baldwin.doc |Download:
Rosey

Hi

I can't help with drawings or info, but I can offer some encouragement/empathy.

I am building a 1st W War Baldwin Gas Mechanical 0- 4-0 in 7 1/4. Moelwyn of the Ffestiniog started life as one of these before they added more wheels. I am no engineer, so the CAD and other assorted design and building problems take me a long time to solve. I certainly understand the money aspect, I wish it grew on trees or under benches. Am not in a position to be able afford to make much scrap. I am at coupling/conrod stage, having recently managed through-hardened EN9 crankpins with ground bearing surfaces. I hope to get the jackshaft bearing housings positioned in the next week or so. Then another moment of truth after I have made a put the quartering keyways in the shat itself. Will it still go round?

I though my frames were heavy from 15mm plate!

Keep up the good work. Did you make it to Chesterfield in May. I went, but didn't go into the exhibition until it was emptying, due to playing with a fellow Sheffield member's Sweet Pea. Just got the job of helping Peter Southworth put his stuff back in the car. :-)

Keep making swarf

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve,

Sounds like a grand project! I wish you every success!

I personally was at Chesterfield in May with Dad?s Sweet William Unfortunately my engine didn?t make an appearance, work as no progressed as quickly as anticipated. I need my own workshop hence th house being on the market!

Work in progress:

Bogie Cylinder patterns Frame Stretchers

I?m hoping to have a rolling chassis at Chesterfield in May 2008.

Rose

-- Rose

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rosey's Profile:

this thread:

Rosey

Hi Steve,

How's work on the Gas Mechanical progressing?

Any photos?

Rose

-- Rose

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rosey's Profile:

this thread:

Rosey

Hi

I wondered if it was a reference to me, but having read the post in the link realised it was. Yes, I have made a bit of progress, got the jackshaft in, all the cranks and rods on. It does go round! Phew.

Have been making bits of the brake gear - waiting for a mate to flame cut the blanks for part of the things which hold the shoes. Hope to cast the shoes in cast iron filled epoxy as they are a funny shape and the lathe isn't big enough to swing real castings.

Don't have any photos published anywhere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Slow progress!!!!!!!!!

Hoping to tackle the boiler over the coming winter!

Reply to
Rosey