Boy Scout Space Exploration Idea/Questions!

OK, I tried to figure out how to make this post concise, but I really
need to fully explain what we're doing here...
Boy Scout Troop 571, in pursuit of their Space Exploration merit
badge, is building... ...
A Ground Based Space Station!
Primary system components will consist of several LAB's[1] , and
several SAFT's[2] , most likely assembled with TSAT[3].
Orbital azimuth is expected to be around 30 feet from Mission Control
(in the side yard).
The Scou^H^H^H^H, um, Station Crew will enter at 6PM on a Saturday
night, with a return to Earth on the following Sunday morning (short
trip, I know..;), probably followed by a post-mission debriefing over
bacon, and eggs cooked on the good ol' Coleman stove.
Electrical power will be supplied from an off-site 12VDC source.
Extensive use of LVXL's[4] will be used for internal station lighting.
Supplemental Personal Lighting Systems[5] are the responsibility of
the station crew.
Communication with Mission Control will be via a notebook computer
running NetMeeting with full duplex video and audio utilizing Mission
Control's _way cool_ 802.11b high-tech data transmission network[6]!
Backup communication will be accomplished via FRS radio.
Human waste disposal methodology is currently being discussed. We're
thinking that the direct approach may simply involve an EVA to the
appropriate facilities.
hehe.. OK, enough bunk..
What I'm trying to come up with here are several "tasks",
"emergencies" and "experiments" for the crew to conduct whilst on
orbit. I'm trying to give the Scouts an idea of what it's like to be
orbiting 240 miles above earth, and the considerations necessary to
accomplish this.
One "emergency", an obvious one, will be an unannounced "power
failure". Just hit the switch on the ol' 12VDC power supply, and
watch the "crew" deal with the situation when their main
communications drops out, lights fail, environmental systems, etc.
One "experiment", which should be huge fun, will be the Remotely
Piloted Exploration Experiment. This will involve outfitting the 6yo
sister with an X10 radio camera, and an FRS. She will then be
instructed to explore the neighbor's yard, and collect samples. The
crew will need to guide her by communicating via the FRS, and
observing via the X10's 12V monitor.
Kinda like a low-tech MER simulation... Just the fact that the
"vehicle" will be the 6yo sister should give them plenty to work on,
and should be an absolute hoot to watch!
So, can any of you folks give me some ideas on other "space related"
tasks for our young crew to handle? Again, I'm trying to give them an
idea of what life on the ISS may be like..
Thanks all!
tah
[1] (L)arge (A)ppliance (B)oxes
[2] (S)cout, and (F)amily (T)ents
[3] (T)rans (S)onic (A)dhesive (T)ape, you guys know what *that*
is...;0
[4] (L)ow (V)oltage (X)mas (L)ights
[5] Flashlights.
[6] Yeah, I just put in a wireless broadband router...
Reply to
hiltyt
Defeats one of the main issues with space stations. INTERNAL self reliance.
Going pottie becomes an "emergency". Making food with limited and NOT spilling water becomes an emergency. Recycling urine? Imagine the liability :) Navigation by stars. You will still have stars, won't you? Temperature control. Close proximity social skills. Teamwork.
> > One "emergency", an obvious one, will be an unannounced "power > failure". Just hit the switch on the ol' 12VDC power supply, and > watch the "crew" deal with the situation when their main > communications drops out, lights fail, environmental systems, etc. > > One "experiment", which should be huge fun, will be the Remotely > Piloted Exploration Experiment. This will involve outfitting the 6yo > sister with an X10 radio camera, and an FRS. She will then be > instructed to explore the neighbor's yard, and collect samples. The > crew will need to guide her by communicating via the FRS, and > observing via the X10's 12V monitor. > > Kinda like a low-tech MER simulation... Just the fact that the > "vehicle" will be the 6yo sister should give them plenty to work on, > and should be an absolute hoot to watch! > > > > So, can any of you folks give me some ideas on other "space related" > tasks for our young crew to handle? Again, I'm trying to give them an > idea of what life on the ISS may be like.. > > Thanks all! > > tah > > [1] (L)arge (A)ppliance (B)oxes > [2] (S)cout, and (F)amily (T)ents > [3] (T)rans (S)onic (A)dhesive (T)ape, you guys know what *that* > is...;0 > [4] (L)ow (V)oltage (X)mas (L)ights > [5] Flashlights. > [6] Yeah, I just put in a wireless broadband router... > > -- > > Tod A. Hilty > Hilty Information Systems > > Do not look in the direction of the flash... > Curl up in a ball as you hit the ground... > > Please replace weinerboy dot org with adelphia dot net for reply.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
I'd be willing to bet that you could get a discount on a Porta Potty which could be connected to the space station by a tarp tunnel. Just promise the Porta Potty supplier to let them have some advertising space on the side of the space station.
You could have a "space debris" emergency if it rains, especially if a lot of your construction is made of cardboard.
Why not have a need for an EVA to repair something on the station? If you went for one full day, it might be necessary to construct some sort of shade to reduce the heat load onboard.
You should supply them with batteries, flashlights, etc. so that they can do more than just "wait out" the emergency.
I'd bet that you could get a Ham radio operator or two to work with them on the space station. Depending on how far away you are, I'd even be willing to help.
Zooty
Reply to
zoot
A repair EVA (meteor impact?). Make them wear winter gloves/mittens; anything dropped is Lost in Space. See if they can come up with tool tethers, teamwork methods. At night? Some helium balloons are certain to fit in here somewhere.
The Navy made us do blindfolded egress drills. Maybe a blindfolded (darkness) air lock operation/escape drill.
A partial power loss like Apollo 13? Would probably have to fuse the power lines coming in for this. Can't have everything running at once.
Reply to
Gary
Got a telescope, or access thereof? One word: MARS!
I might add another: PERSEIDS!
Jim Reyome NAR 81902 Lyles, Tennessee USA
Reply to
James Reyome
Cholosterol overdose!
Bob Kaplow