Michael's Space Exploration Event

I just received a call from a local Cub Scout leader, and to say I'm a bit disappointed in Michael's would be an understatement.

The boys were given rockets and help in building them, then sent on their way. No information on where and how to launch, nothing on what they needed, zero, zip, nada.

Fortunately, another leader knew I was into rocketry and provided my number, so the gentleman called me. While I can't be there to help on their planned launch day, I am having him come over so I can walk him through how to prep a rocket, put it on the pad, launch procedures, etc.

I have to wonder how many other boys are in a similar situation. If you have a Michael's in your area, it might be worth contacting them to see if they have leaders names and numbers you can contact to see if they could use some assistance.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

They are a retailer not a value-added launch host.

I have a radical suggestion.

Modify the laws (NFPA regs) to conform with typical consumer-retailer practice and allow lone rangers.

I might have been saying that consistently here for a decade or more . . . . . . .

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, Put the model glue away.

jerry, I don't recall you ever saying "i have to wonder how many other boys are in a similar situation."

Do you have any other improbable and vague claims to make?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

lone rangers? wheres trigger and tonto?

define lone ranger.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Silver...not Trigger...lol. Trigger was the mount of one Roy Rogers.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

NOT dependent on either NAR or TRA to launch ANY rocket.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What NFPA code/s prohibit "lone rangers"?

Be specific.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Try to stay on topic jerry; and I thought you had changed...

Reply to
WallaceF

Consumer certification MANDATED for HPR motor access.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, you seem confused. your above statement, "NOT dependent on either NAR or TRA to launch ANY rocket", was in response to Kevin's post about Michael's and model rockets. Now you have changed your "story" and are talking about "HPR motor access. The discussion was about launching "ANY rocket", as you previously posted.

Care to try again?

But first, you should put away the model glue.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

When they did this a year ago, I contected my local store, offering assistance. Never heard back from them. I also asked for contact info for their regional manager, and again never heard back. Finally, I emailed corporate, and again got no response. It's pretty clear that Michaels doesn't want any outside help.

What someone really shoud do is have someone attend these classes and report back on how good the instruction, safety advise, etc from the class is. Or get feedback from the folks that contact you looking for a place to launch.

Bob Kaplow

There is nothing in NFPA that prohibits lone ranger rocketry. Nor is there anything in the NAR safety code. Only the TRA policy is so bold as to restrict lone rangers.

Bob Kaplow

Ok, so what was the name of Dudley Do-right's horse? And don't all you old timers give it away.

Bob Kaplow

Not to pick nits, but Trigger was Roy Rodgers horse. The Lone Ranger rode Silver. As in " Hi Ho Silver! Away!" Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
Christopher Brian Deem

And, at the Roy Rogers museum in Apple Valley, you could see Trigger stuffed and mounted!

- Rick "Is the museum still there?" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Just to pick at another nit, there is no "d" in Roy Rogers' name.

- Rick "Stine! Arcas! Brant! Shecter! Rogers!" Dickinson!

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

No, Dale Evans rode Tonto. Ray Kroc rode Angel.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Who rode Nell?