Michael's Space Exploration Event

Dudley Do-Right may have ridden Nell, but that's not his horse, it's Inspector Fenwick's daughter. The horse has a much simpler name. :-)
Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet
http://roci.indyrockets.org "X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."
snip
Shhhhh!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Nope. Nell was his girl friend, not his horse.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Yeah, but he still rode her. I assume.
"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
I know! I know! Ursula or was it: Fella or was it: Ape or was it: Rocket J. Squirrel or was it: Bullwinkle Moose
It's gotta be one of those
Steve Vernon
ps or there's a hint in there :)

Did you ever get a good look at Nell? ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Guess you have to be approaching 50 to get this one. Ok, enough already, the horse didn't have a name. Dudley just called him, horse.
For a real stumper, what were the names of the comic strip cowboy and his horse, on Captain Kangaroo?
And yes, you'll have to be about 50 to get this one too. He even launched a rocket once! It was fireworks but a rocket none the less.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Straying further off-topic....
I can not answer your particular question, but seeing as that you appear to be well versed in "the Captain's lore", perhaps you can answer this. I had posted it on various history groups in the past, with no success.
During the 60's, and perhaps even in to the 70's, Captain Kangaroo presented a unique episode, each July 4th. It was basically a history class, on the American Revolution, and a primer on the U.S. government. It featured a *lot* of great animated stuff, and graphics. For a show geared towards the younger kids, it went into a lot of detail regarding the war; as well as a lot of detail into the intricacies of our U.S. government (i.e. the proportional representation of the House, the equal representation of the Senate, the three branches, checks and balances, how a bill becomes a law, etc...). Like I said; a *lot* of detail for a kid's show. In fact, I think I learned more about civics from "the Captain"; than from elementary, and middle school.
Now, these visual aids used by the Captain, were obviously something that had been produced previously, for the school systems. But, I have never been able to find out what the title(s) was/were; when it was made, by whom, etc.
Do you know?
--

Greg Heilers

Greg, I do remember what you're talking about. Part of that special, he talked to a little animated man on a tv screen about all the things you listed.

If I can just remember the little man's name I'll remember the title. Give me a little while and I'll see if I can come up with it. My sister is a little older and she might be able to help me remember. I'll be seeing her tomorrow at my mom's for Mother's Day and if I don't remember before then, she should be able to help.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

I remember a little animated guy, who appeared on a drop-down "monitor" that was behind the Captain's counter/bar area. He was a very plain black on light-gray drawing (think Etch-A-Sketch-like); and was very big-headed, with small limbs, like a Mr. Potatohead. His name was something very simple, like "Fred", I believe...
--

Greg Heilers
http://www.tvparty.com/lostterrytoons2.html

Roy Green wrote:

Cool! His name *was* "Fred". I am surprised I remembered it. And the brief description of the "Fred-ification" process is quite inteseting.
Thanks!
--

Greg Heilers
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Up there in the Canadian wilderness, You take what You can get! :)
Christopher Brian Deem wrote:

Continuing with the nit harvesting....
The actual line, I have read, was "Hi YO Silver! Away!". Cultural society seems to have "mis-heard" the line...similar to Neil Armstrong's...
Hey! I kinda got it back to rockets!
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Try to stay on topic jerry; and I thought you had changed...

When they did this a year ago, I contected my local store, offering assistance. Never heard back from them. I also asked for contact info for their regional manager, and again never heard back. Finally, I emailed corporate, and again got no response. It's pretty clear that Michaels doesn't want any outside help.
What someone really shoud do is have someone attend these classes and report back on how good the instruction, safety advise, etc from the class is. Or get feedback from the folks that contact you looking for a place to launch.
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
Bob Kaplow wrote:

It sounds like that aspect is pretty nonexistent, from talking to these people. They were handed a minimal amount of materials, and that's it.
-Kevin