Michael's/Estes Promotion for Scout Merit Badge

As has been noted previously, Michael's Arts & Crafts stores and Estes have begun a promotion supporting Boy Scouts Space Exploration Merit Badges. They will give each scout working on their merit badge a free Estes rocket kit and provide space to troops for their build sessions.

This is an excllent outreach opportunity! Local clubs can provide assistance and support for the build sessions as well as organizing launches for the completed rockets.

The Michael's website has been updated with a link on the main page to:

(As previously noted, the Jan/Feb Issue of Scout Leader magazine has a full page ad for the promotion.)

I am currently drafting a letter to send to the managers of the 17 stores local to LUNAR's area, offering help with the build sessions in the stores and launching the completed rockets.

After that, I'm going to contact the local Boy Scout councils to make sure they're aware of the program and offer the same kind of assistance.

Cheers, Craig Craig R. Saunders, crs at MaxThrust.net,

News and Information for model rockets and high-power rocketry

Reply to
Craig R. Saunders

RMR After I saw the Michael's offer in Sunday ad. I posted it to our MASA group net. One member went to a Eagen store where I found a big poster display promoting this scout offer. However no one including the manager knew anything about this.

Several MASA members are offering our services to the construction and flying of these rockets.

It seems that this was promoted at the higher levels of Michaels but follow through at the store level has yet to begin.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch

LOOKS LIKE THIS EVENT IS SOLD - OUT !!

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Freed

The ad matches the poster in the stores (except for the "event sold out" part). The rocket shown is one of the new 2004 snap-together rockets. I think they do not use any glue or cement. They are very lightwieght and well designed and unlike previous RTF (i.e. not overweight). They fly on mini motors (a good thing since it will boost sales of those motors and they are cheaper to buy and they do not fly so high the rocket is lost, etc.). It remains to be seen how long the shock cord is and if the mount is good for more than one flight. The rockets ARE long enough to actually install the proper amount of wadding and install the recovery system.

Reply to
Fred Shecter