GWR Track Plans?

Hi all,
After a long period away from railway modelling I succumbed to the urge again and bought a pristine Hornby Jubilee Edition Albert Hall Set
recently, still wrapped from the factory. The bug is itching and I have followed that initial purchase with some additional track and a Flying Scotsman set, just so I can run something in the short term.
What I would really like to do is model a layout based on a GWR station (or two) and I am trying to find a source of track plans or even old photographs that might give me the basic design from which to start the layout.
Being in Australia doesn't help this endeavour, as there isn't a lot of ready reference material so I was wondering if the good folk here might be able to offer some suggestions of where to find such things?
Thanks in advance
--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
Steve,

You might want to have a look at "An Historical Survey fo Great Western Stations". I believe it's out of print at the moment but there seems to be a few going second hand on Abebooks.
"http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=An+Historical+Survey+of+Selected+Great+Western+Stations&xH&y
There are a wide range of station types shown and they are lly accompanied by a selection of photographs and a signalling diagram.
Jim.

is this of any help :-
http://www.gwr.org.uk/index.html
turbo wrote:

Yes, I found that link and am slowly getting through the wealth of information there...
I also stumbled onto http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/stat_1.htm which has a few line diagram station layouts
But, the more the merrier I reckon...
Thanks for your help..
--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

There are (or possibly were) at least a couple of books published by Oxford Publishing on GWR station layouts, which gave detail geographical layouts and signalling plans for selected stations- 'A Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations' by R H Clark is the title- my Volume 2 carries the ISBN 0 86093 015 7 Brian

<snip>
Also a book by Chris Leigh, "GWR Country Stations" [1], Ian Alan ISBN 0 7110 1108 7 (I have a copy from the first print run but that ISBN should be go to go with - or at least cross reference), although the book is more an Architectural survey some of the photos show 'typical' GWR country station track layouts.
[1] IIRC there was also a second volume.
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...
Jim Guthrie wrote:

"http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=An+Historical+Survey+of+Selected+Great+Western+Stations&xH&y
Thanks for the tip and the link, those sort of references are some of what I want to look through.
--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
Stevo wrote:

If you are looking at a particular location Middleton Press do books about lines include track layouts and lots of photos and background information.
Chris
Chris wrote:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the information, I will add Middleton Press to my growing list of sites to search.
Part of the difficulty I am having is to do with deciding on possible locations. From research I know that the Albert Hall was based at Fishguard, Swindon and finally Bristol before being decommissioned. It might have been elsewhere but I haven't discovered any further details. My feeling is to model my layout on the location/s where the Albert Hall would have been a regular. So using Google and Google Earth I am trolling through locations that might suit. I guess I would also like to have at least on major/interesting station as a centre piece, perhaps with a major engine staging yard, turntable and sheds. Other stations would be of smaller size, either line stations or perhaps terminus's. Just an initial plan forming in my sketches so far.
While the Flying Scotsman will not fit to the above exactly, I am reasoning that I could run it as a 'Special' of some kind which won't look too out of place when the rest of the layout is predominately GWR in flavour.
So, I will use all the assistance provided to research but it is taking a while to get it all together. So knowing the places, the lines and geographic areas is the first step.
Thanks again.
--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

It's your railway. You can do whatever you want. I have FS in 1923 livery on the same layout as a green Class 101 DMU.
--
Martin S.

<snip>

Which is quite prototypical - assuming you are modelling the period 1963 - 1968 (or 1972 [1])... - Duh!
[1] if one assumes that FS never received it's second tender
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...
MartinS wrote: <snip>

Too true.. and I am not going to get too pedantic about it.. I have a couple of plans to hand now, that might do the trick.. but that won't stop me looking at others, until I start fixing the track down that is... 8-)