And does the NEC require...

that light switches be connected to ground in single family residential construction? If so can you please cite the section number? Thanks!

Reply to
Randy Jones

Try section 404.9b of the 2002 NEC. It clearly requires switches to be grounded. The concern is the use of metal faceplates, which need to be grounded.

E. Tappert

Reply to
Eric Tappert

110-3 (b) before 2002; 110.3 (B) in 2002 code It requires that you follow the instructions provided with the device. Those instructions show grounding the yoke. 380-9 pre 2002, 404.9 2002 code: "Snap switches, including dimmer switches, shall be effectively grounded..."
Reply to
ehsjr

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:59:36 GMT Eric Tappert wrote: | On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:38:44 GMT, "Randy Jones" wrote: | |>that light switches be connected to ground in single family residential |>construction? If so can you please cite the section number? Thanks! |>

| Try section 404.9b of the 2002 NEC. It clearly requires switches to | be grounded. The concern is the use of metal faceplates, which need | to be grounded.

Would you run the supply to the light first, and let the switch get its ground from the bare or green wire in the wires running from the light to the switch, or would you run the supply to the switch first and pass ground through to everything in that order?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

I'm not sure what the sequence is. We just moved into a house we had built here in Florida and when I removed the cover plate from a 3-gang switch (switched wall outlet, overhead fan light and overhead fan) to replace one with a fan speed slide switch, I noticed none of the 3 switches were grounded.

Reply to
Randy Jones

If there is a metal box and the box is grounded would not the code be met?

Reply to
SQLit

They used plastic boxes. All builders here use plastic nowadays.

residential

Reply to
Randy Jones

As long as the device is listed as "self grounding" (there is a metal spring that grabs the screw) or if the device has a solid metal to metal bond to the box, it is OK. If it is hanging from the drywall ears and not pulled up to the box, with the fiber washer removed it is not considered "bonded".

Reply to
Greg

There is no sequence requirement for equipment bonding conductors. The code only requires that there is a securely grounded path back to the main bonding jumper.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
w_tom

Yes it is. See 404.9 (B) 2002 code: "Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be effectively grounded and shall provide a means to ground metal faceplates, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed."

There is one only one exception, and that is only for replacing a switch in an older circuit that does not contain an equipment ground.

HOWEVER - those screws

Reply to
ehsjr

Then the equipment grounding conductor (bare wire) needs to be connected to each switch.

Reply to
volts500

Oh, good grief! The ground has nothing to do with the order of the boxes! Ground != neutral. The switches and recepticals must be grounded (green/bare wire). The switch must be in the hot (black) wire. The cable can continue through the box to the light fixture, or not. ...but the switched conductor must be the

*hot*.
Reply to
KR Williams

Am I to understand that plastic boxes have a metal grounding mechanism built-in that reaches the screws by which the switch is secured?

Reply to
Randy Jones

No the "self grounding" feature only works on metal boxes. That was the reason for the addition of a grounding terminal on switch yokes.

Reply to
Greg

Then if a light switch is installed in a plastic box in new construction, a ground wire MUST be connected to the ground terminal that is on the switch? And if the switch has a ground lug, is it possible it is UL listed as not requiring a hard connection to ground?

Reply to
Randy Jones

Yes.

The question is meaningless. It is the NEC that requires connecting the switch to ground, not the UL.

Reply to
ehsjr

So, then, finally, if a light switch is installed in a plastic box in new residential construction, the ground conductor in the circuit must be attached to the switch. Right?

construction, a

Reply to
Randy Jones

Here's a new twist... what if the switch controls a "split" wired wall receptacle (duplex) that IS grounded?

construction, a

Reply to
Randy Jones

Right. How many times do you have to be told?

Reply to
ehsjr