And does the NEC require...

It's just hard for me to believe what I know I'm reading. We just moved into a brand new house built by SeaGate Homes here in east central Florida and NONE of the light switches have a ground wire connected to the ground screw whether or not they switch an overhead light or a split wired duplex receptacle.

How in the world do you think they were able to get a C.O.?

Reply to
Randy Jones

The Florida Unified Building code is using the 1999NEC and that requires an equipment ground be brought to switches.

380-9(B) I can only think your inspector did a "drive by". This is a warranty issue, call your builder. It also begs the question, what elese did they cheat on.
Reply to
Greg

Like the medicine cabinet I paid for - it's a 14" X 19" hole on the bathroom wall (I guess the shelves and door were additional options they forgot to tell me about).

Reply to
Randy Jones

If you paid $750k for your house they would have put a $5 can with a mirror in that hole.

Reply to
Greg

It sounds like you know something about SeaGate Homes!

Reply to
Randy Jones

The code makes an exception to safety grounding switch based upon no exposed conductive parts. I don't have the copy. However I verified it because so many electricians are not grounding the switch AND passing inspections. Checked out the

2002 code book. As I had posted previously:

It is stated > The Florida Unified Building code is using the 1999NEC and that

Reply to
w_tom

I do.

304.9(B)

B) Grounding. Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be effectively grounded and shall provide a means to ground metal faceplates, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the following conditions is met. (1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices. (2) An equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch. Exception to (B): Where no grounding means exists within the snap-switch enclosure or where the wiring method does not include or provide an equipment ground, a snap switch without a grounding connection shall be permitted for replacement purposes only. A snap switch wired under the provisions of this exception and located within reach of earth, grade conducting floors, or other conducting surfaces shall be provided with a faceplate of nonconducting, noncombustible material.

***

There is NO exception for new construction, only "replacements" where no ground is present.

Reply to
Greg

No but I see what builders do. They build to minimum code and cheat whenever they think they can. I don't really understand it when they cut some corner like these cheap medicine cabinets tho. A lot of buyers just say they want the empty hole so they can just go buy a nice one. The same is true of light fixtures (AKA luminaires).

Reply to
Greg

A guy I ran across once actually had this happen to him. the medicine cabinet they left him was a mirror hanging inside a stud cavity with a shelf under it made of drywall.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

No - the only exception is for replacing a switch when there is no grounding means available at the box. In new construction you must ground the switch.

I don't have the copy.

Reply to
ehsjr