Bad electrical outlet

Living in the US I hope this is the proper ng for this question. I can find no other ng that looks relevant. Have installed a PC network in my house. From my routerer, I have an ethernet cable running to an adapter that plugs into an electric outlet. In theory, I should be able to plug another adapter into another outlet in my house and any device plugged in an ethernet port on the 2nd (remote) adapter should be seen by my router and become a part of my network. In fact, this works very well. Except for one outlet. When I plug my 2nd adapter into this particular outlet, my router/network can not 'see' it. If I plug the adapter into other outlets in the same room, my network can 'find' it. I have tried

8-10 outlets throughout my house and the network can 'find' the adpater, but this one outlet - no signal to the router/network. Possibly incorrectly, but I suspect the problem is with the outlet and not with the adapter. Any ideas on what the problem is with the one 'bad' outlet?
Reply to
J Lunis

I'm living in the UK and the main experience I have had with "Us wiring" was in Haiti... But there, it was pretty common for some of the mains sockets to be wired with the live and return swapped.. Any chance you could have that?

Reply to
Palindrome

I can check but I thought swapping these would result in a 'dead' outlet. BTW, if it matters, this outlet has two plugs and the adapter works in neither.

Reply to
J Lunis

Have you tried plugging a working lamp in the outlet? Do you have a multimeter or some other form of AC tester? Is there a light switch that may operate the outlet? I would try a lamp or radio that you plug in to see if that works first and if it doesn't maybe look for a switch and also check that the breaker is on in the panel. If none of those work, you should get a multimeter and check for voltage at the outlet. If you do have voltage and it is not what it is supposed to be then I might suggest a loose neutral. One more suggestion might be that the outlet is fed from a GFI somewhere else and the GFI might be tripped. These are just some things I would check. HTH

Shane

Reply to
gorehound

You could have that one outlet wired to the other "leg" of the 220 volt service coming into your house. Most US homes get 220 that is split into two 110 volt services. Without a capacitor to pass the signal from the one hot leg to the other you will not see the LAN signal appear even though power is supplied.

Reply to
no_one