Balancing the Breaker Box

I was thinking of completely insulated, so there was no 'complete circuit' in the rotor.

Thanks for the discussion, it helped refresh my mind how how these buggers work. Of course the new digital ones are a whole different story.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

There are some electrical engineering books on Ebay. I'd have no idea which is worthwhile.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If no rotor currents cannot flow (or are restricted as in the situation you mention- which is analogous to the concept of laminations to minimize eddy current- then there will be little or no torque.

I have since run across a site which indicates that the flux from the voltage coil is adjusted , apparently by a shading coil, so that it is , at unity pf, 90 degrees out of phase with the current coil flux. Beyond this the site really didn't get down to specifics other than considering the meter as a type of 2 phase meter where torque at standstill (or at near standstill) will be essentially directly proportional to current at a given voltage. One could take a 2 phase control motor, add gears and come up with a watthour meter. It is interesting that the "Ferranti effect" which is related to induction machines, was known before Tesla came up with the polyphase induction motor.

You have the term "bugger" correctly applied but in polite society it is the "Bougerre Factor".

Reply to
<dhky

You balance for safety reasons. You do not want to overload a bus.

Reply to
ponialex