Baseboard heater outlet as soure for 240v

Hello:

Can the wiring for a 240 volt baseboard heater be used as a source for 240v. My understanding is there is no neutral in the baseboard wiring?

Reply to
Bryan

Long as your load is with in the limits of the circuit and does not need a neutral, sure.

Reply to
SQLit

Yes. For 240, you don't need a neutral. Aside from that, some installations include the white wire, but it is left unconnected at both the panel and the baseboard.

But - there's always a but - you can't just willy-nilly add a

240 volt receptacle. You have to remove the heater. There are (or were in the past) some baseboard heaters that include a 240V receptacle and a double pole double throw center off switch. Without the switch, a receptacle can ba a physical part of the baseboard gheater, but must be powered from a separate circuit. See NEC article 210.52

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

*That white wire will frequently be one of the 240V legs, Usually a black, white, and bare wire are present.
*Also, you will frequently find a 120V receptacle in a 240V heater to satisfy the outlet requirements for the room.
Reply to
Long Ranger

Thanks all:

Probably should have mentioned what I wanted to do. Want to add a 400 or

1000watt Metal Halide light to a solarium. Unfortunately the 120v outlet would be pushed to capacity. I wanted to run the ballast off the 240v supplied to the baseboard heater which is never used. I would remove the heater and add the proper box and receptacle.

The schematic on the ballast has a tap for 240 v but the return is labelled "Common" which I assume is a neutral. Is this still ok.

ps. The wiring to the baseboard is 3 wire, two black and a ground.

Thanks aga>> Hello:

Reply to
Bryan

It's fine. With the heater removed you can use the conductors for the receptacle.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The white wire is required to be re-identified when it is used as a non-grounded conductor. Usually that is done by wrapping it (in the j-box) with black or red tape. If you find the white wire is one of the 240 volt legs, it's a code violation. See NEC articles 200.6 and 200.7. If you find it frequently, someone is worse than careless. He/she either doesn't know what is required, or doesn't give a damn.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr