Bi-Quad "Bowtie" antenna construction?

Is it considered bad design to support the bi-quad element on some kind of stand-offs in 4 locations (2 per quad) between the element and the reflector? Like nylon, possibly using a dab of epoxy to hold them in place?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

In principle this ought to be OK. The presence of the standoff will have some effect on the antenna's electrical behavior (increased capacitance between element and the reflector) but I suspect that this would probably be negligible in most cases. Depending on the frequency in question, you might want to select a standoff material which is known not to absorb RF at those frequencies. If you're really feeling energetic, don't use nylon and epoxy - fabricate standoffs out of Teflon, with a hole-and-slit arrangement to admit and hold the antenna element, and a tapped hole in the base to allow it to be secured to the reflector plate with a nonmetallic screw.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Dave, thanks for your reply.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:48:11 -0700, Dave Platt wrote (in article ):

2.4 GHz (Wi-Fi).

Ooo, I like the thought. Break out the Dremel !

Since I'll be bending the element(s) myself, I can eliminate the slit; just make standoffs with a hole and slip them on where needed, as I bend it up.

Thanks again,

Reply to
DaveC