blower fan motor question

I have an air handler for heating and cooling. When the air was added the installer noted that it was close on the CFMs. Now I find the unit has to run much longer to maintain temperature settings. I suspect that my air flow is reduced by the air coil. While oiling the motor of the direct drive squirrel fan I noticed that it's got 3 speeds , low, med, high and as per the wiring diagram it is wired only for low. Can I simply switch it so it runs on medium? Would there be startup problems starting in medium rather than say running in low first then stepping up to medium? There is a capacitor in the circuit. Interestingly the CFM rating on the label seems to indicate the value in (HI) . If so my CFMs are lower than the air installer thought and probably not adequate. Thanks

Reply to
Ken Hilson

Generally, most residential forced air cooling applications use the high speed setting, and heating applications use low setting, and they switch between the two according to the call for heat or for cooling. There are a couple of reasons for this: exchange efficiency, cooling efficiency, and human comfort (ref ASHRAE for details).

Air moving at 15 FPM cools people better than slower moving air. Registers and fans are sized, and types of registers picked, to get that flow in the cooled room. Air moving much over 5 fpm in the cooler months will feel drafty if the air is below about 65 F.

Cooled air is heavier, and there tends to be stratification (cold air pools at the floor) in rooms with inadequate flow or improper pathways. Higher velocity air tends to fix a lot of problems with stratification.

Heat exchangers transfer heat to or from the exchanger into the air. First, cool air is heavier than warm air, and needs a bit more pressure to pass properly than warm air. Second, cool air will deposit its moisture all along the exchanger depth if it moves slowly. A properly sized and designed exchanger/system will drop the temperature below the dew point, extract moisture, and raise the temperature back up so the air is cool but not water-logged.

So basically, the airflow in the room cooling and heating determines the fan setting, and the flow across the exchanger efficiency is checked by determining pressure drop across the exchanger. If the pressure drop or temperature range is off, (see the table in the installation manual), airflow is changed to get them within range, pressure first. If they won't both get in the range, get the pressure right first and then adjust dampers, open/change registers, etc., to lower pressure To check for temperature drop, get a temp probe at your home store or auto store - about $5, maybe $10 max. measure above and below the exchanger and compare to the table (on one side of the airflow to the furnace/cooling coil, they just poke thru the fabric sleeve on bonnet - don't poke the exchanger ! The other side usually has a hole or plug to take out for access.) Pressure drop requires a manometer for reading inches of water, available for around $ 150-500 from a supply house, or you can make one for about $ 5. Buy some 1/4" clear flexible tube that can reach from about a foot above and a foot below the exchanger to a piece of board, with about a foot or two extra. One end goes in at the top right corner of the board and down the side of the board, and then angles back up from the bottom to the upper left corner. Mark the board in inch marks vertically, and put some water in the tube. How much depends on what kind of pressure you are looking at - 6" of water means you need a ten inch tall board and about 7 inches of water in the tube. Level the board so the downlead is vertical, stick the ends in the holes, and read the differential pressure. take a couple readings.

hope it helps

Reply to
Hobdbcgv

Ok, the stupid mouse hung -- had to fix it.

once you are set up to measure pressure and temp, turn the AC on and let it get going and cooling for a few minutes, and then with the AC running and cooling, check the pressure drop and the temperature drop, and comapre to the installation chart (if you didn't get one in your packet, check the mfgs website for the manual for your model) If the pressure drop is too low or at the low end of the range (or the temperature differential is too high), turn up the AC setting and let it clear itself, then turn up the fan setting and do the complete check again at the higher airflow. For maximum efficiency, use the highest fan setting for cooling, and let the fan run 24/7

Reply to
Hobdbcgv

sorry - the following should read:

by adjusting fan speed to get correct

temperature drop range

after having proper airflow across the coils, there is a problem with the unit. Check charge.

you can also adjust dampers, open/change registers,

to adjust airflow to get a change in the temperature drop

--------- the idea is, the coil was designed for a certain flow range and a certain temperature drop range at that flow, and that works only if the charge that causes the cooling is right.

Reply to
Hobdbcgv

Although I was looking for an answer re the electrical implications of switching the wires what you have provided is very useful, especially the fact that I should have higher speed for cooling than heating and I have just the one low speed. My A/C was added later as I mentioned. I have a friend with the same brand of system but larger capacity. The heating and cooling were installed at the same time by the same person who did my air(but not my original heat). I checked the wiring diagram for his. Identical to mine except he has a lead off the fan relay hooked to low and another to high on the motor. On mine instead of the high connected to the same terminal I have a jumper back to the low motor wire. His is a 1/2 HP motor an mine is only 1/4 but his fan is likely larger as his rating is 1600 CFM compared to my 650. A quick test we tried seemed to indicate that the manual fan speed and his heating speed were the same, possibly low but we didn't think check the cooling speed yet. (he may have the unit covered for winter) Hobdbcgv ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnono) writes: > sorry - the following should read:

Reply to
Ken Hilson