Convert 220 knob and tube to 110

I have a 220 knob and tube outlet behind my range I need to convert to

110. The wires are in good condition, there are 6 individual wires on the hot, 7 on the neutral and 6 on the ground. I spoke to a contractor and he recommended that I just wirenut off one each of the hots and neutrals, and connect the rest to a normal plug.

My question is, since there are 6 and 7 wires on the hot and neutral, respectively, will it work to just wire nut and tape off 3 and 4, respectively, or does this present problems. If the method above is completely off-base and unsafe that information would also be helpful.

Thanks, Ian

Reply to
Ian McAllister

I guess a simpler explanation might be that there are two hots with 6 and 7 wires, respectively, and what I thought was a ground is actually the neutral. In that case if I wire nutted/taped off one of the hots, how would the neutral wires fit onto a normal outlet. All to the neutral w/ no ground?

Reply to
Ian McAllister

Based on your description, you would be far better off to ignore what is there and install a new run of Romex (or whatever code calls for in your area) back to the panel to a new breaker or fuse.

"If the method above is completely off-base and unsafe that information would also be helpful." Yes - it is off-base and unsafe.

What you describe doing is going to ruin what is there, and overload a circuit. And, if by "outlet" you mean receptacle, you can't do it as you have in mind. Also, your new outlet behind the range will have no ground.

This is baloney: "I spoke to a contractor and he recommended that I just wirenut off one each of the hots and neutrals, and connect the rest to a normal plug." Either you misunderstood him, or he's the north end of a southbound horse.

Reply to
ehsjr

Sounds like a good idea, hopefully it shouldn't be too hard since there is conduit there already.

I think the 'horse' explanation is accurate.

Thanks for your post.

-Ian

Reply to
Ian McAllister

My guess is you misunderstood what it was he said.

Your best bet is to rerun the circuit.

Just curious why you would need to convert a 220V range circuit to 110V?

Reply to
bob peterson