Question about fan motor

Not long ago, I made a shop fan from squirrel cage fan out of a residential air handler. Last weekend was particularly hot, and I had the fan running most of the day. When I went out to turn it off, the fan was running but there was a puddle of oil underneath it. Now, or course, it won't start. I assume the capacitor blew up or leaked.

Can a fan such as this be used for continuous use, or is it only suited for on and off operation, as occurs in the normal cycling of an air conditioning unit? Was this just the capacitor's time to go? If I replace the capacitor, am I just throwing money away?

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Don't know exactly what you mean by "residential air handler", but the blower motor in a lot of home furnaces - including mine - runs 24/365.

I'd try a new capacitor.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

Second that, and while your hands are dirty see if there's any oil reservoirs that might benefit from lube, if that motor doesn't have sealed ball beatings.

I know my home's air handler motors use sleeve bearings, I had to press a new bearing in one motor last year when I didn't think about oiling it and it started squealing. The shaft didn't look perfect either, but it's made it so far.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The biggest mistake most people make when making one of these the first time is that they fail to put a restriction in the outlet. These fans are designed to run into a restricted outlet (the coils, and ducting of the system). If you run one wide open on the outlet without the restriction it tends to overload the motor since there's to much air moving over the squirrel cage.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks for the comments, guys. I noticed when I walked close to the inlet, the noise from the blower changed somewhat. I'll try choking it down a bit after the new capacitor. The fan motor, while wired up for a single speed in the A/C handler, has four speeds. I wired it up through a scrounged 4 position switch and now have four speeds. The highest actually blows so hard that the fan moves backward on its rollers, so I can't use the highest speed.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady