exhaust fan

i need an exaust fan for my small shop. Main use is for exhausting welding fumes while fabricating but I also due a fair amount of painting. I found a squirrel cage type fan on E-bay and was wondering if this would be a better idea the the tradition louver type fan. i like this one because of the variable speed and that it would be quiet but was wondering what unforseen problems I might run into. here's a link to the auction.

Doug Arthurs Kent Bridge, On

Check out my website at

Doug Arthurs

This is a fairly small unit in terms of CFM. It will be quieter than the usual propeller blade style unit. If you use if for painting you will get a fair amount of crud on the blades over time, the propeller type is much easier to clean up.

Price looks reasonable for a new unit. If you like this one adn want to save a buck, stop at any heating and ventelating shop. THey will have lots of furnaces with cracked heat exchangers and good blowers. I picked up a 4 speed unit with around 1300 cfm capacity at top speed for $2

Cheers.

Doug Arthurs wrote:

Reply to
Roy Jenson

For painting, or for exhausing any explosive vapors you might want to make sure the motor is "explosion proof" (i.e. doesn't make sparks...they make such motors for use in mining and other things, but they cost a bit).

As for the crud buildup problem, it can unbalance a fan if it gets bad. Using some disposable furnace filters in front of the fan will cut down on that considerably. If you are using a furnace fan, it will be designed to expect this anyway and should still move a fair bit of air.

If this is a home setup used occasionally with latex paints, none of the above probably matters a whole lot (except the crud buildup), but you might want to check with the local regulatory people about exhausting stuff to the environment. Unless you are an industrial user they probably won't care, but you might get some useful info anyway.

-- Mike

---------------------------------------------------------------- To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address. I'm getting sick of all the SPAM...

Mike Bartman

forced air heating system or go saturday morning saleing. Ten bucks should get you a 1/4hp motor belt driving a good size cage. If you need more flow, use two. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

or alternativel y make sure the motor is away from the fumes and out of the duct (ie motor outside the fan case). Use a washable airconditioning filter to catch the lumpy bits. Geoff

Reply to
geoff merryweather