Capacity of Duracell AA cell versus NiMH

This message brought to you by the 'tea bag in a cup corporation of the US of A'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

have you ever tried Sassafras tea?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep. Reminds one of Root Beer. I think I have some in my cupboard - but it's too old and has lost its flavor.

Have you tried Jasmine Pearls? I usually make a large pot - 40% Jasmine Pearls, 60% loose black tea. Pour in the boiling water and watch the Pearls unwind. Taste is at least twice as good as what you get at the best oriental restaurant.

Reply to
Baxter

For real sassafras tea you go out early in the morning with an ax, and find the sassafras plant. You cut off some of the roots, rinse the dirt off and use a very sharp knife to shave thin layers off, then boil the root in a tea pot. It was one of the best things about visiting my grandparent's farm as a kid. It was even beter when the sap was down in the roots for winter, and the flavor was at its best. After that, I have never really liked any other teas.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wrote

Starbucks now

One of the ladies at work is from Hong Kong, and brought back a round donut sized cake of tea from there. She gave it to me and I gave it to my cow-orker, and told her that she should only use a pinch of it. She didnm't listen, and used a more generous amount and learned her lesson. It was waaaay too strong!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

Well, all questions of 'tea' left aside, this is what I've found out from research/usage.

If you compare two 'fresh' batteries, one alkaline and one NiMH, you'll find that the NiMH has a much higher capacity. But the NiMH *also* have a much higher self-discharge rate. If the application uses power at anything like the 20-hour discharge rate, the NiMH will win hands down. But if the application is on the order of 'several-month' rate, the self-discharge of the NiMH will be a bigger 'draw' on the battery capacity than the application. So the alkaline battery wins.

daestrom P.S. of course NiMH are rechargable, whereas alkaline are not.

Reply to
daestrom

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote: [snip]

[snip]

You learn something new every day!

Reply to
Chris Jones

self-discharge of

Well, alkalines _are_ rechargeable, as you can see if you buy the Rayovac Renewal rechargeable alkalines. They do recharge, but in my experience, they don't get very many charges before the capacity is greatly diminished.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

Too late - that's already been brought to the attention of the readers a number of times in the last few years.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

In message , TokaMundo writes

Maybe, but the ones I scattered in the front garden of the magistrates' court a couple of years ago failed to germinate

What a waste

Reply to
raden

In message , TokaMundo writes

I bet you wear eye protection when mixing NaOH too ...

Reply to
raden

Yes but, perleeeze

Not what a merkin is

Oh dear

Reply to
raden

AA Batteries

ANS2300 - NiMH - 1.2V - 2300 mAh (Ansmann)

ANS2400 - NiMH - 1.2V - 2400 mAh (Ansmann) RB102746 - NiMH - 1.2V - 2300 mAh (Uniross)

RB100880 - NiCd - 1.2V - 800 mAh (Uniross) RB104358 - NiMH - 1.2V - 2500 mAh (Uniross)

4106 - Alkaline - 1.5V - 2600 mAh (Varta) MN1500 - Alkaline - 1.5V - 2700 mAh (Duracell)

e2 lithium - 2900 mAh (Energizer) alkaline copper top - 2850 mAh (Duracell)

NiMH are quickly catching up with alkaline primaries.

Reply to
John Savage

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:27:22 GMT, John Savage wrote as underneath my scribble :

Only in some applications, self discharge I think is about 20% in the first 7 days for NiMh cells and is very temperature dependant if you store them warm after charge you can lose 50% in 7 days quite easily, and loss rate is higher for the higher capacity cells. Charlie+

Reply to
Charlie+