Car inverter questions

Hi

I am looking for a bit advice on powering things in my car (while driving). I am looking to power:

Small portable TV (50W) Laptop (60W) Small Fridge (50W)

I was looking to buy an inverter with an output of 200-300W. Does this sound ok? What sort of specs should I look for?

What effect will this sort of power consumption have on the cars fuel consumption and parts (such as alternator)?

Just one last question regarding the laptop consumption. The AC adaptor I am using says input: 100-240V 50-60Hz, ouput: 18.5V 2.7A. So to estimate the conspumtion I multiplied 18.5 by 2.7 and added approx 20%. I this right?

Thanks in advance for all your help Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Reid

I would run the fridge on a separate inverter but other than that I don't see a problem. I run "desktop" PCs in my cars for MP3 players and I have had no problems.

Reply to
Greg

All these are available in 12V versions (PSU in the case of the laptop). I would consider that unless you have already bought the items.

If the fridge uses a compressor, an inverter could have problems with the motor starting current.

Probably. I've never measured a laptop's consumption, but I doubt it's anywhere near 60W, at least not sustained.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you insist on using the fridge on the inverter, I would buy a model is rated for at least 300W continuous and 500W up to so-many minutes. They make higher wattage models, but the price goes up a lot also. That way when the fridge kicks in, it might not hurt the inverter. As for the laptop, I don't see a problem. We use them at my work (300W, 500W peak) to power a laptop and several flashlight and radio chargers per vehicle.

here is some example text from a Radioshack model on the web...

. Two AC outlets . Rated 110VAC output @300 watts continuous, 600 watts surge . Powerful 600-watt surge output for TVs, motors and other inductive loads . Reverse polarity and overload protection . Short-circuit protected . Includes DC lighter socket plug and battery clips . Low-battery alarm and auto-shutdown . Auto-reset and auto TV-starting circuit . Heavy-duty plug and cable

Reply to
Anthony Buss

Refrigerator is one of the most difficult thing for an inverter to start, especially the stepped squarewave type because the available starting torque is reduced. You'll need an inverter capable of surge power of about 1000W and you have to set up something to make sure the fridge won't be allowed to restart for five minutes if allowed to turn off or else the compressor won't turn and inverter will stay in overloaded state.

Let's say the fridge is running with the engine off. The inverter will cut out when the starter motor is activated. You need to somehow make sure the fridge won't be powered for five minutes once the inverter gets running again.

Reply to
~Dude17~