Closed Delta 120/240V 3-phase service

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:21:43 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , phil-news- | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says... |> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:14:36 -0500 krw wrote: |> | In article , phil-news- |> | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says... |> |> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:37:16 -0500 krw wrote: |> | |> |> |> To make this derived system, you need either: |> |> |> |> |> |> 1. 3 single phase transformer cores |> |> | |> |> | Kinda like they do now on the pole. |> |> |> |> Yes. Except instead of using 120-volt-only transformers (there are such |> |> things ... just 2 lugs on the secondary), they need to use the 120/240 volt |> |> transformers (plenty of those around) and understand the concept to know |> |> how to wire it up. |> | |> | IF there is any advantage (doubt it), they'll figure out how to wire |> | it up. It's rather obvious. |> |> There is an advantage to having genuine 240 volts. Not all circumstances |> make it easy to use separate single phase transformers. The ones that do |> would already have multiple transformers. Otherwise it increases cost. | | Three transformers can't cost more than a three-phase transformer, | or they'd do it for the 90% of the poles in existence now.

I don't have any prices for pole transformers. I do have prices for dry type transformers from Eaton/Cutler-Hammer. I picked the following models arbitrarily:

480 -> 120/240 Al 115C 75KVA T20P11F75EE $9,170 (3x = $27,510) 480D -> 208Y/120 Al 115C 225KVA V48M28F22EE $16,810.00

Three of those single phase 75 KVA = one three phase 225 KVA. You can wire the singles to 120 volts and connect them as wye to be equivalent to the three phase one. But you'd pay $10,700 extra for the three single phase.

The URL of the transformer catalog is:

URL of the price list is:
Now if pole transformers had this same issue, I'd expect to see more of them as three phase in one can. There must be some reason they don't do that. OTOH, three phase in one can is common in many places in the world.

|> And there are no "6 star" transformers made (yet). | | I wonder why? Could it be because there isn't a reason?

There is a reason to have it. There might be a reason not to. That latter reason could be ignorance among engineers. More likely it is that customers doing the buying (building owners and their construction contractors) do not care to make the voltage match. They shave all costs everywhere they can and let the resident deal with the losses. They know the vast majority of them will know even less than engineers. You could be one of those residents and it appears you would not care if your water heater takes 33% longer to return to stable temperature.

|> Maybe there is a confusion here. CT could mean "center tap" or it could |> mean "current transformer". In the above, I mean "current transformer" |> for the purpose of metering. | | Ok, there was confusion on that point. Metering with a current | transformer would seem to have calibration problems. They really | need to meter power, not current.

I see you don't know how metering with a CT is done. They do meter power. A voltage reference is also connected.

|> What is done in on 90% of the poles? The "6 star" suggest is certainly not. | | It *CERTAINLY* is. Look at the voltages on the top of those pigs. | It is *EXACTLY* what you describe as "six star". We generally look | at it as three Edison 240V circuits, but it is *exactly* what you | describe (six 120V circuits - each 60degrees from the next.

Not only do they not exist this way, it is also stupid engineering to do so when the service is 208Y/120 (which is the most common type of three phase service in the USA, leading 480Y/277 and 240D). The reason it is stupid is if you have a pair of 120 volt windings in series and only use

120 volts of it (which is exactly how 208Y/120 is done), you have wasted half the capacity of the transformer. These things cost thousands of dollars, and this would be a few thousand dollars of waste for each and every one used as you describe. No engineer would ever do that except as an emergency temporary means to restore power when a 120 volt can is not available.

90% of poles have a three phase "6 star" and 10% have single phase?

You are on some really nasty drugs, dude!

You can't just add screws on a terminal board in a transformer. You have to put in a larger terminal board to have room to keep the spaced apart. It's doable, but is also a big change since you're messing with the wires coming off the windings. They put in terminal boards so the installing electrician does not have to mess beyond that.

Not really at all.

| |> I see it more NOT in quotes. The term WYE is a longish form |> of "Y" which is a depiction of a 3 pointed star configuration, not 6. |> The "*" more resembles 6 under most fonts (some have 8, but that's |> another issue). | | Huh? What are you blabbering about?

You have no idea where the term WYE even comes from?

I know how to make the "6 star".

If you think it is being done somewhere, take a picture. I want to see one with the center lug of all three transformers connected together and the other 6 lugs all connected with 6 wires coming off (that is what a "6 star" is).

|> Be specific. First of all you know you need TWO connection points for |> a voltage. Simply saying "CT" (which I assume to mean "center tap" |> instead of "current transformer") means ONE connection. You get no |> voltage from one connection. | | Good grief Phil, the CT transformer gives you 120V from the A-phase | and it's mirror, 120V A'. Three of those gives you your "six-star". | |> So how do you get 240 volts from a 208Y/120 wired transformer bank? |> Answer: you don't. | | The CT transformers on every damned pole in town. Man, you're | thick.

I know how it is built. Our disagreement is you think it is already in use and I know damned well it is not.

Your statement provides only TWO label letters per phase (for example "A-N" for the first one). For the "6 star" you need THREE label letters including N in the middle as the center tap.

|> If there were 3 split-phase secondaries involved, there would be a lot |> more connection points than just these three. Even if all the center |> taps were connected together, you would still have 6 connection points |> to label. Starting at A, that runs to F. | | DAMN, you're thick!

Your statements aren't even consistent. You describe transformers that have 3 lugs and then you describe 2 lugs?

The "6 star" has 3 (THREE) lugs PER PHASE (when built with 3 separate single phase transformers). You tie the center (CT) lug for all three together and you give it just ONE label "N". You ground that one, too. Then you still have SIX (that's a 6) lugs. You need SIX (6) labels for them. Three is not enough. An example of six labels is: A,B,C,D,E,F

I know how to connect them. Maybe you do, too. But where you are in error is thinking they are already connected up this way. They are not. They could be. All you need to do is put three of these split phase pole pigs on one pole and wire things up the right way. You'll have a neutral (grounded) and 6 (SIX) line wires.

You have a camera? Take some pictures! If you find one such setup, that is very interesting. If you find 90, that is utterly strange.

|> Sure, a 120/240 volt split phase transformer used normally for single |> phase service could be used for 208Y/120 by connecting only ONE SIDE. |> And it might be done in a few places. But it would be very rare since |> it is a waste of half the transformer capacity, and thus a higher cost |> than needed. They do make transformers that can deliver their entire |> capacity on just 2 lugs at 120 volts. There is no center tap. Or if |> there is, the center of 120 is 60 so it would not be used. | | You are master of the irrelevant, Phil.

Saving thousands of dollars in transformer pricing is VERY VERY relevant.

|> The majority of 208Y/120 services derived using single phase pole pigs |> is done with 3 cans that have 120 volt ONLY secondaries. | | A-HA! He does get it! Now look at the voltages on those | secondaries; your "six-star".

Those "120 volt ONLY secondaries" are NOT Edison split phase 120/240 as is done for single phase service.

You certainly have a 120 volt transformer mixed up with as 120/240 volt transformer.

Irrelevant to someone that seems to think all those 208Y/120 three phase transformer banks are somehow coming up with more than just three line wires.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Really? In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per transformer. Three-phase distribution is used for large customers only. Given the amount of area covered by single-family houses compared to the area used by commercial/industrial/large residential (high rise), I'd have to guess that more than 50% of the total number of poles that have any transformers carry one single-phase transformer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

obviously very different practices on different sides of the pond. Virtually all residential distribution over here is 3 phase. The only time I've ever spotted single phase is when an isolated property has its own transformer.

Reply to
charles

I just wish I had three-phase into my house.

Reply to
Stuart

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 04:56:19 +0000 (UTC) Dave Martindale wrote: | krw writes: | |>Look again (open your eyes this time). You're not seeing the forest |>for the trees. It *IS* on top of 90% of the poles in the country. |>The other 10% are single phase only, generally found only in rural |>areas. | | Really? In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had | single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the | poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers | providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per | transformer. Three-phase distribution is used for large customers | only. Given the amount of area covered by single-family houses | compared to the area used by commercial/industrial/large residential | (high rise), I'd have to guess that more than 50% of the total number | of poles that have any transformers carry one single-phase | transformer.

Around here there are many areas where three phase distribution exists passing by residential locations. The residential dwellings still get just single phase. Many businesses, like restaurants, get three phase service. There are three transformers. But they get 208Y/120. There is no 240 volts in that. Some legacy services for older places do have

240 delta.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:34:13 +0000 (GMT) charles wrote: | In article , | Dave Martindale wrote: |> krw writes: | |> >Look again (open your eyes this time). You're not seeing the forest |> >for the trees. It *IS* on top of 90% of the poles in the country. |> >The other 10% are single phase only, generally found only in rural |> >areas. | |> Really? In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had |> single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the |> poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers |> providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per |> transformer. Three-phase distribution is used for large customers |> only. Given the amount of area covered by single-family houses |> compared to the area used by commercial/industrial/large residential |> (high rise), I'd have to guess that more than 50% of the total number |> of poles that have any transformers carry one single-phase |> transformer. | | obviously very different practices on different sides of the pond. | Virtually all residential distribution over here is 3 phase. The only time | I've ever spotted single phase is when an isolated property has its own | transformer.

But homes in UK generally only get one phase at 240 volts. Some parts of the world, though, do typically provide three phase to a home, making 380,

400, or 415 volts available.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

true, most homes only have a single phase (although I have all 3) but the local distribution is 3 phase.

Reply to
charles

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:36:36 +0000 (GMT) charles wrote: | In article , | wrote: |> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:34:13 +0000 (GMT) charles wrote: |> | In article , |> | Dave Martindale wrote: |> |> krw writes: |> | |> |> >Look again (open your eyes this time). You're not seeing the forest |> |> >for the trees. It *IS* on top of 90% of the poles in the country. |> |> >The other 10% are single phase only, generally found only in rural |> |> >areas. |> | |> |> Really? In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had |> |> single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the |> |> poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers |> |> providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per |> |> transformer. Three-phase distribution is used for large customers |> |> only. Given the amount of area covered by single-family houses |> |> compared to the area used by commercial/industrial/large residential |> |> (high rise), I'd have to guess that more than 50% of the total number |> |> of poles that have any transformers carry one single-phase |> |> transformer. |> | |> | obviously very different practices on different sides of the pond. |> | Virtually all residential distribution over here is 3 phase. The only |> | time I've ever spotted single phase is when an isolated property has |> | its own transformer. | |> But homes in UK generally only get one phase at 240 volts. Some parts of |> the world, though, do typically provide three phase to a home, making 380, |> 400, or 415 volts available. | | true, most homes only have a single phase (although I have all 3) but the | local distribution is 3 phase.

But the only three phase system you can get is a star (what is referred to as "wye" in the USA). You can't get delta. And you can't get "6 star" (as I call it) nor would you have any reason to need it (because no appliances would ever assume 480 volts on a single split phase system). Do don't have the voltage assumption issue the USA has.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Really!

Where do you live, Mongolia? The only places I've seen single phase distribution is in the middle of the country (rural Vermont, in fact).

Bullshit!

Your *guess* is wrong.

Reply to
krw

Different issue. My father wanted three phase into his house in the late '50s. He argued that it was on top of the pole already so it was a simple matter to bring it down to the entrance panel. They told him that they would do it if he guaranteed a $100/month bill (rather steep for the '50s).

Reply to
krw

Currently, the area around Vancouver BC. Other residential areas with single-phase service: near Waterloo, Toronto, and St. Catharines Ontario, near Montreal Quebec.

Where do you live that has full three-phase MV on top of every pole on every street in a residential area? And three transformers on every pole that has a transformer?

Not where I live now, nor where I've lived for decades. Again, where do you live that has 3-phase on the pole outside every house?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

The transformers aren't on every pole (every third), but the wires are. I see it all over. All you have to do is look.

Everywhere I've lived (some underground).

Reply to
krw

----------------- There are many places where a single phase is run down an alley (the next alley is on another phase so that the total district load is pretty well balanced across the 3 phases. This is true in residential districts in many cities which exceed 1,000,000 inhabitants. Simply a matter of economics in situations where high heating or, more likely, cooling electrical demands are not present. Where I am, a 3 phase main feeder is across the street but a single phase feed from this line serves the whole of a small subdivision. There is simply no need for running 3 phases (particularly underground) as loads don't warrant it in this case. In a previous home, 3 phase was down the alley but only because there was a commercial load at the end of the street which warranted the 3 phase feeder.

There is no "one size fits all" solution so no BS is involved-just different observations in different places.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Even the purely residential area I grew up in had all three phases on the pole (one pig per pole - four houses per pole).

Everywhere I've looked but *very* rural areas has three phase distribution.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:37:38 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , | SW snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com says... |> In article , |> charles wrote: |> > obviously very different practices on different sides of the pond. |> > Virtually all residential distribution over here is 3 phase. The only |> > time I've ever spotted single phase is when an isolated property has its |> > own transformer. |> |> I just wish I had three-phase into my house. | | Different issue. My father wanted three phase into his house in the | late '50s. He argued that it was on top of the pole already so it | was a simple matter to bring it down to the entrance panel. They | told him that they would do it if he guaranteed a $100/month bill | (rather steep for the '50s).

There is, afterall, a cost to keep 2 more pole pigs up there. Those things are not cheap.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:37:37 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca says... |> krw writes: |> |> >Look again (open your eyes this time). You're not seeing the forest |> >for the trees. It *IS* on top of 90% of the poles in the country. |> >The other 10% are single phase only, generally found only in rural |> >areas. |> |> Really? | | Really! | |> In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had |> single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the |> poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers |> providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per |> transformer. | | Where do you live, Mongolia? The only places I've seen single phase | distribution is in the middle of the country (rural Vermont, in | fact).

MV comes out of substations in three phase. The distribution trunks are three phase. But many side branches, particularly residential areas, are single phase MV. So everyone on the same street is on the same phase. Big deal. The utility saves money doing that and can keep things in balance by putting the next street on a different phase.

|> Three-phase distribution is used for large customers |> only. | | Bullshit!

Of course in the distribution design, three phase goes all over the place because there might be scattered need for three phase. And then they have to keep it reasonably balanced where it does go, so the single phase lines branching off or going to a direct service are balanced over these phases.

|> Given the amount of area covered by single-family houses |> compared to the area used by commercial/industrial/large residential |> (high rise), I'd have to guess that more than 50% of the total number |> of poles that have any transformers carry one single-phase |> transformer. | | Your *guess* is wrong.

Actually this is quite common. Even if three phase distribution goes through a residential area, the transformers on the poles for homes along the way are usually just one transformer supplying one phase to that bunch of homes.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:18:45 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca says... |> krw writes: |> |> >> In all of the places I've lived, residential areas had |> >> single-phase service only: a single MV line running down the top of the |> >> poles along the street or alley, and single-phase transformers |> >> providing center-tapped 120/240 service to several houses per |> >> transformer. |> |> >Where do you live, Mongolia? The only places I've seen single phase |> >distribution is in the middle of the country (rural Vermont, in |> >fact). |> |> Currently, the area around Vancouver BC. Other residential areas with |> single-phase service: near Waterloo, Toronto, and St. Catharines |> Ontario, near Montreal Quebec. |> |> Where do you live that has full three-phase MV on top of every pole on |> every street in a residential area? And three transformers on every |> pole that has a transformer? | | The transformers aren't on every pole (every third), but the wires | are. I see it all over. All you have to do is look.

There are lots of distribution lines with all three phases. There are also lots with just one phase. Either way, just one transformer is the norm for residential services.

You manage to only live in strange places.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| Even the purely residential area I grew up in had all three phases | on the pole (one pig per pole - four houses per pole).

One house I lived in a long time ago had only single phase MV on it. Another around the corner (after we moved) had three phase MV on it. One pole pig served 3 homes single phase. The three phase then ran on down the street and branched off to a school which had three very large pole pigs. I went to grade school there and by 5th grade knew that was for three phase power (but I didn't yet know the difference between delta and wye).

Where I live now has a single phase MV branch running down about 6 poles and then goes underground to serve 3 pad mounts. It comes off a three phase MV trunk that goes to a college about 4 miles north.

If I wanted three phase power here, it would be VERY expensive to get.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Different utilities in different areas have different practices, including the willingness to bring three phase down a street that doesn't need it yet, or will never need it.

I grew up in a large subdivision. Three phase went in at 3 points, but all the streets not on the roads the three phase followed were fed single phase. The single phase loads were approximately balanced, but some of them were not trivial. One single phase fed my longish street plus 3 shorter streets, a total of 9-10 pole pigs with 5-6 houses per transformer. There was a single three phase load, a clubhouse/golf course.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

I *have* looked where I live. I've told you what I see (a single MV wire on the top of the vast majority of poles in residential areas). The next level up the distribution hierarchy is 3-phase, so 3-phase lines do pass through residential areas, but only one phase is tapped for the line of poles down each street or alley.

Again, where do you see 3-phase on every pole? Tell us some places. Even when there are 3 phases, do the transformers occur in groups of 3? Or do you mostly get one transformer per pole, tapping only one of the

3-phase MV lines? (That's what I see when there does happen to be 3-phase distribution).

And where would that be? City or suburbs?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale