Connecting up a 120v motor; do the wires matter???

I bought a used table saw. To make it easier to carry, the seller took off the motor. Now he doesn't know which wire goes where. The wiring diagram just shows where to connect the wires, it doesn't distinquish between the hot and the neutral. Does that mean it doesn't matter which goes where?

It is a Northern 2HP B-182893-01. Yes, I will ask them, but I don't really expect an answer, so you are my only hope.

Reply to
John

Usually they are color coded, generally white (or sometimes blue) is neutral.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

The motor has 6 wires. It says to jumper three of them, connect 2 to one line wire, and 1 to the other line wire. It doesn't distinquish between the hot and neutral. I mean on the wiring diagram; on the line I know which it hot and which is neutral.

Reply to
John

If you have only two wires to connect, it doesn't matter which is connected to the hot and which to the neutral. Follow the normal house wiring color code if you can: white is neutral, black is hot.

Reply to
ehsjr

I bit the bullet and just connected them. It worked fine. Thanks.

Reply to
John

Glad to hear you were successful!

Reply to