corroded batteries

So, my remote control uses 2 AA batteries, and I went to use it tonight, and it didn't work, so I looked at the batteries, and one of them was
corroded. They're Alkaline. Only the negative terminal was corroded, and only one of them.
Can anyone tell me what might have caused my battery to corrode?
Anthony Guzzi wrote:

Usually it's caused by being discharged or 'flat' for some time.
--
Cheers ............. Rheilly P

Maybe in "negative" end got wet and there was a little salt (from someone's hand?) to make it start to discharge at the negative end.
While the alkaline cells "look" like the old cells, physically, the case is POSITIVE and the center electrode is negative. The case is formed with a little dimple so that the positive end "looks right."
But most of the case insulated by the paper cover. The paper covers the gap between the base connected to the center of the cell and the positive case.
An alkaline is much more prone to self-discharge because the leakage path is shorter.