corroded batteries

So, my remote control uses 2 AA batteries, and I went to use it tonight, and it didn't work, so I looked at the batteries, and one of them was corroded. They're Alkaline. Only the negative terminal was corroded, and only one of them.

Can anyone tell me what might have caused my battery to corrode?

Reply to
Anthony Guzzi

Usually it's caused by being discharged or 'flat' for some time.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Maybe in "negative" end got wet and there was a little salt (from someone's hand?) to make it start to discharge at the negative end.

While the alkaline cells "look" like the old cells, physically, the case is POSITIVE and the center electrode is negative. The case is formed with a little dimple so that the positive end "looks right."

But most of the case insulated by the paper cover. The paper covers the gap between the base connected to the center of the cell and the positive case.

An alkaline is much more prone to self-discharge because the leakage path is shorter.

Reply to
John Gilmer