DC motor speed control

I'm doing a project on DC motor speed control, I'm doing it because
it's the closest thing to instrumentation and control out of all the
projects I have to choose from. I'm having trouble seeing any
applications for it, other than for robotics. We did have a motor
generator set at a plant I was at, can anybody give some examples where
this may be used in the process, nuclear industry.
Reply to
Cosmo
On 9/18/06 8:38 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Cosmo" wrote:
Plastic (PVC) extrusion lines have to run at various speeds.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
Reply to
Salmon Egg
We use Dc motors, 6 600 HP motors in our aluminum rolling mill. 2 300 HP on unwinder and rewinder. They are controlled by SCR drives.
Reply to
Skenny
Overhead cranes, lifts (sorry elevators, but not so common now), tramways, railway traction units, etc, etc.
Reply to
Robbie Mayhem
Battery powered tools. Mobility scooters. Or did you mean industry specific uses?
Ed
Reply to
ehsjr
That's good, I guess it won't be a waste of time designing a speed controller. I researched an application where they used a variable speed motor to control pressure instead of a discharge valve. It appears to be not a common practice, however it would save the plant some money on the power bill.
Reply to
Cosmo
DC motors are commonly used for stirrers and agitators in process tanks. The fact that speed is a linear function of voltage makes them relatively easy to control.
Reply to
Stan de SD
On 9/19/06 9:55 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Cosmo" wrote:
Realize, however, that because of semiconductor electronics, it is now possible to use ac drives that adjust frequency and voltage to drive ac motors, including induction motors, at variable speed.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
Reply to
Salmon Egg
We have those to in our mill. But they are on smaller A.C. motors, 50 HP and less..
Reply to
Skenny