DC motor speed control

I'm doing a project on DC motor speed control, I'm doing it because it's the closest thing to instrumentation and control out of all the
projects I have to choose from. I'm having trouble seeing any applications for it, other than for robotics. We did have a motor generator set at a plant I was at, can anybody give some examples where this may be used in the process, nuclear industry.
On 9/18/06 8:38 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Cosmo"

Plastic (PVC) extrusion lines have to run at various speeds.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
We use Dc motors, 6 600 HP motors in our aluminum rolling mill. 2 300 HP on unwinder and rewinder. They are controlled by SCR drives.
wrote:

-

Overhead cranes, lifts (sorry elevators, but not so common now), tramways, railway traction units, etc, etc.
Cosmo wrote:

Battery powered tools. Mobility scooters. Or did you mean industry specific uses?
Ed
That's good, I guess it won't be a waste of time designing a speed controller. I researched an application where they used a variable speed motor to control pressure instead of a discharge valve. It appears to be not a common practice, however it would save the plant some money on the power bill.
On 9/19/06 9:55 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Cosmo"

Realize, however, that because of semiconductor electronics, it is now possible to use ac drives that adjust frequency and voltage to drive ac motors, including induction motors, at variable speed.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
We have those to in our mill. But they are on smaller A.C. motors, 50 HP and less..
wrote:

-

DC motors are commonly used for stirrers and agitators in process tanks. The fact that speed is a linear function of voltage makes them relatively easy to control.