DIN standards for reading?

Wikipedia lists DIN standards but has only a brief description:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DIN_standards
Are the DIN standards on-line for reading&perusing (and, in my case,
translating)?
Thanks.

Maybe a brief description. But you need to purchase the ISO from ANSI or other provider. I've never found a DIN standard freely availble.
Cheers
Am 18.11.2015 um 05:41 schrieb Martin Riddle:

That depends on your definition of "freely available". At university libraries in Germany (at least at universities with technical faculties), you usually have the possibility to read all DIN standards including VDE standards at one or more computer. Sometimes you also have the possibility to print them on paper for a fee. (DIN, not VDE.)
Best regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian Suchanek schrieb:

Some libraries also have paid for the subscription to the online database (Perinorm), so that their users can download these standards as PDF files from a website. There's no need then to print them at library.
Christian
--
Christian Zietz - CHZ-Soft - czietz (at) gmx.net
WWW: http://www.chzsoft.de/

Which DIN?
RL

No one in particular. Am having a friendly disagreement with a friend about what a DIN number means. Does it define things like material, tolerance, finish and hardness or does it include size, thread, etc? In other words, does the DIN number define a particular, specific fastener (including dimension) or only the standards to which that fastener is measured against?
I always related DINs to the US MILSPEC standards which generally are standards, not product definitions.

DIN defines the size of things. Say a bolt with a certain DIN number standard will be so many milimeters long, have a certain number of thread pitch per mm.
I don't know for sure, but suspect that it does not mean the bolt will be so strong or hardened unless aditional informationis added.
Not that familiar with metric standards, but lets use an American bolt as an example. If you want a 1/4-20 bolt then it will be 1/4 inch in diameter and have 20 threads per inch. It may or may not be hardened, made of steel,aluminum or any thing else unless specified.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

OK, thanks.
Seems the definition of ?standard? (ie, ?a level of quality or attainment?) is being blurred. It looks like they are being used as product definitions to define specifically all dimensions and aspects of a thing.

Yes, the DIN is mainly standards so that the parts all fit together. It does not normally define the quality of the item.
Am 19.11.2015 um 18:07 schrieb Ralph Mowery:

Not quite. It is not like one DIN-Number == one bolt (or something else). Each number defines a certain kind of things, therms and everything :-). There is a DIN-Norm for writing a text (i.e. a thesis at the university), there is a DIN-Norm for drawing a cirquit diagram, a house, a 3D drawing or anything else. Most of them have a EN "in back". For example DIN825-1 defines laser safety (yes, I know, this norm is now obsolete but I'm too lazy to find new numbers), the adequate European Norm is EN60825-1. Another example: DIN912 defines cylindrical bolts with allen key fitting. All of them. Including UNC & UNF i.e. non-metric bolts.
HTH
Waldemar